Gynostemma pentaphyllum

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Gynostemma pentaphyllum

Post by foxd »

After drinking the first box of Gynostemma pentaphyllum tea and finding some postings that claimed that the plant was hardier than had been claimed, I decided to order some seeds for it. (Not from Ebay, I am through with ordering seeds from Ebay.) Providing nothing happens, which it usually does, I should have them in about a week.

This particular plant is commonly known as the Immortality Vine and has more of the compounds found in Ginseng than Ginseng does.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Re: Gynostemma pentaphyllum

Post by ghmerrill »

Well, you live forever, let us know. :lol:
benboo
Location info: 0

Post by benboo »

How hardy is it? I might want to grow some.

I like growing plants for tea.
and immortali-tea :lol:
foxd

Post by foxd »

benboo wrote:How hardy is it? I might want to grow some.
Good question! I wish I had a good answer for it. When I first started looking into growing it I found references to it being hardy to 20°F or Zone 8. But I recently found references to it being more hardy than anyone realized. One reference says hardy to at least 0°F and they are in Zone 6.

We will see how easy the seeds are to germinate.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
benboo

Post by benboo »

Where did you order the seeds from?

I might end up buying plants if the seeds are difficult to germinate.
foxd

Post by foxd »

benboo wrote:Where did you order the seeds from?
Horizon Herbs though they say it is hardy down to at least 20°F. I guess I find out if I have to raise it as an annual.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

I haven't been home to look at them but I was told I'd received a package of seeds today. Now if I can just find the room to germinate them...
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

The seeds are starting to germinate! :)
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

I now have six seedling that have been transplanted from the germination medium. They took the transplant well and are sizing up. It also looks like a couple more are now germinating.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

benboo

Post by benboo »

Have you had any luck with the plants? I know this is kind of a late bump, but i am looking for seeds to grow this spring, and am wondering how this grew for you. Did they live over the winter?
foxd

Post by foxd »

benboo wrote:Have you had any luck with the plants? I know this is kind of a late bump, but i am looking for seeds to grow this spring, and am wondering how this grew for you. Did they live over the winter?
Some did, some didn't. Seeds are not that difficult to find and they do germinate easily. Life got kind of crazy and I didn't get a chance to plant them outside.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

A bit of an update. I never got around to planting them outside again this year. I've lost a few of them, but most have survived and I find that they root easily and are migrating from pot to pot to become companion plants whether I like it or not. :?

None of the vines have bloomed.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.