Musa mekong giant running banana plant

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Musa mekong giant running banana plant

Post by needmore »

I have a dwarf Cavendish that is freaking huge, first banana that I look at and can not picture digging out and dragging indoors. Two trunks between 10-12 inch caliper I'd guess with huge leaves. Really beautiful, too bad so big.

Noticed yesterday that a piece of my Thai giant? Colocasia or alocasia survived last winter unprotected and has recently popped up.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

Brad - Friday I was walking in those beds and noticed that the Calla 'Green Goddess' plants that were dug out last autmn have all sprouted from the roots left in the ground. I wasn't expecting that. Crocosmias coming up everywhere be they stray corms or seedling, I suspect the latter.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Bananas are the consolation prize for those of us that can't grow gunnera because of the heat. :)
JWH

Post by JWH »

Alan_L wrote:Bananas are the consolation prize for those of us that can't grow gunnera because of the heat. :)
I grew both this year! *laughs maniacally!*

Bananas of epic proportions probably aren't possible here without an extra warm summer, like it was here this year. 2014 went down as the 2nd warmest summer on record.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Alan_L wrote:Bananas are the consolation prize for those of us that can't grow gunnera because of the heat. :)
I don't know about your particular climate but have you looked into Tetrapanax ?
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Nicholas wrote:I don't know about your particular climate but have you looked into Tetrapanax ?
I have! Apparently there are a couple of different "cultivars" available -- only 'Steroidal Giant' is cold-hardy enough for a z6 winter. I'm planning on adding one to the garden next year. 8)
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

I find that the gunneras grow pretty well as long as afternoon sun is avoided, and I doubt hot temperatures are the biggest limiting factor.

A wall o water could probably get one started well. My larger plant has 2 pups and I intend to divide those off next spring to avoid overcrowding.

It also got top killed and soft last winter which was very brutal, but it still managed to end up bigger than last year.
Arkansas

Post by Arkansas »

A friends Namwah this time last year in South Arkansas.
Attachments
sanamwah.jpg