Bamboo bench #2 -99% complete

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

fredgpops
Location info: 0
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Bamboo bench #2 -99% complete

Post by fredgpops »

Bamboo slats glued (Gorilla Glue) on cement block. Exterior slats have 3 coats of marine varnish. Interior slats coated with waterproof foam. Seat can be extracted and stored in winter. Center piece is arizona flagstone.

What didn't work - fabricating and attaching sections rather than attaching individual slats, completing sanding and varishing prior to final attachment, using a level and square on the seat to extract the foam and make the seat level.

Question mark - Will the foam prevent internal weathering better than marine varishing ref the interior of slats. Interior breakdown over time is the key to survival not exterior breakdown.

Bench 1 - the interior slats look good where I used interior marine varnish. I'd suggest 3 coats of interior varnish. Again. foam may be the way to go. THe jury is still out.

Major change that helped - The chop saw with a fine blade saved hours of time. Levelling is still a mystery
to me. It's still a eyeball job based upon my experience.

Bamboo used - Madake, mostly 3 to 4 " diameter.
Rgds
pokenei
Location info: 0

Re: Bamboo bench #2 -99% complete

Post by pokenei »

Looks good.

If you have more bamboo spare, try building an outdoor bamboo bed...or a bamboo tree-house. That should be fun.