Castor Bean 'New Zealand Purple'

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

Alan_L
Location info: 81

Castor Bean 'New Zealand Purple'

Post by Alan_L »

I've finally identified the castor bean-looking plant I saw a few places this last summer: it's a castor bean! :lol:

It's a newer cultivar I think though, called 'New Zealand Purple'. Has anybody grown this, and if so, I'd love to get some seeds.

I've grown the 'Carmencita' red for a few years, and the New Zealand Purple has darker leaves, seems to branch and leaf out more, and the seed pods are the same color as the leaves, not fluorescent red like with 'Carmencita'.
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Castor Bean 'New Zealand Purple'

Post by foxd »

Alan, If it is as different as it sounds I would be interested in some seeds too. The other red Castor Beans have not looked all that different to me. If you are interested I have some Horned Melon and Hardy Orange seedlings I can offer in trade.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Castor Bean 'New Zealand Purple'

Post by Alan_L »

Dan, they look pretty nice to me: http://www.onalee.com/catalog.php/onale ... pd1741738/

I'll probably order seeds from this place, and will be happy to send a few to you if I do.