Winter Squash

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

benboo
Location info: 0

Winter Squash

Post by benboo »

Does anybody here have a favorite variety of winter squash that you grow? I am going to mess around with cross pollinating different cultivars this summer, to hopefully create some weird squash combos for next year. I want to try some things like blue hubbard and lady godiva, (which has hulless seeds)

I know gardenweb might be a better place to ask, but there always the people who copy things off of wikipedia that are almost irrelevant, people that insist every single plant you mention is invasive everywhere, and the people who don't realize caps lock is on the whole time...

There is a good guide here http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load ... 13356.html
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Winter Squash

Post by Alan_L »

benboo wrote:...to hopefully create some weird squash combos...
Aren't there already a huge variety of "weird" squash varieties? :) Some seed suppliers specialize in certain plants -- I'm sure you can find some squash-crazy seed company.
canadianplant

Post by canadianplant »

benboo, try your local farmers market. Never know what they have. Also you could just pick up sme squash from the store and grow those seeds. The thing is, they may be hybrid, but free seeds right?
benboo

Post by benboo »

There are many strange squashes around, but I was wondering what two weird squashes combined would be like. It will be a surprise to see what they look like next year.

I also like the idea of having my own breed of squash. (preferably something grotesque looking)
benboo

Post by benboo »

I will probably use it for baking. I have never had squash soup, but I will try that as well.
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

Butternut has been better than other winter squash ones I've ate.
Mike Beard
Location: Polk City, Fl.on the southern edge of the Green Swampzone 9

Post by Mike Beard »

Butternut and Acorn are great cooked on the grill just slice in half and de-seed, sprinkel on a little brown sugar,cinnimon and a big pat of butter wrap in alum. foil and cook on the grill until they pierce easy with a toothpic,then procede to pig out and you can eat the skin, I do.

mike
mike beard
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

Mike Beard wrote:Butternut and Acorn are great... sprinkel on a little brown sugar,cinnimon and a big pat of butter...
How can you tell how good they are with so much extra "stuff" added? :wink: We have this argument at my house about sweet potatoes every year, so no offense intended. :)
Mike Beard
Location: Polk City, Fl.on the southern edge of the Green Swampzone 9

Post by Mike Beard »

Key Word A LITTLE
I litely season all my food to enhance the flavor and being an insulin dependent diebetic I only use a small amount of sugar
i have done these with only salt and pepper added a the tabel but the brown sugar and cinnimon add an extra umph that we enjoy
I personaly like my sweet potatoes with only tabel seasonings no marsmellows and other sweet stuff if I want desert I eat desert not ruin my dinner

and no offence taken

enough off topic

has anyone tried spagetti squash?We love it and it is a lot of fun
mike beard
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

I was going to mention spaghetti squash too -- it definitely is worth growing. Don't expect it to taste exactly like pasta, but it's delicious and fun like Mike said.

A Luffa squash could be interesting too.