water lilies and other water plants

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

Alan_L
Location info: 81

water lilies and other water plants

Post by Alan_L »

I know there are some members here growing water lilies. Any advice on selecting and growing them? I've done a little reading, and some sources indicate that there are "junk" varieties that will take over a pond, drop lots of vegetation (which will rot), and/or rarely flower. My pond is partial shade so that limits the varieties I can successfully grow, but I'm just looking for any suggestions.

Also looking for suggestions on other water plants (submerged oxygenators, floating plants), and good sources to buy from.

I'm always open to discussions of trades too. :)
moriphen
Location info: 0
Location: Southern New Jersey 7b about 5 mins from Philadelphia, PA

Re: water lilies and other water plants

Post by moriphen »

Ever consider planting carnivorous plants and orchids?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/magarell/s ... 184171332/

M
M
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

I've thought about carnivorous plants before, but never really investigated seriously. Sounds like a good topic for winter study. :)
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

I have a white pitcher plant(sarracenia) that was grown from seed as well as a few venus fly traps which have all been growing in the same pot for around 1.5 years. They seem to grow well in a very damp environment, and since they are mostly listed at zone 5, I still put them under a tarp where they have survived last winter very well.

I think these can be grown on the edge of a pond, as long as there is material to hold it's roots in place so the plant doesn't drift away. They seem to be resistant to light freezes, and don't even die back when they are under a tarp. It's also surprising how many flies will voluntarily get stuck in the pitchers and fly traps.

This picture is kind of blurry, but it shows my carnivorous plants getting close to their dormancy period which is required for them to grow well the following year.

Water chestnuts may be possible, and maybe even water spinach.
canadianplant
Location info: 0

Post by canadianplant »

Hey alan

Water lilies (nymphaea) are everywhere. There are also Nelumbo species native in NW Ontario. Sorry I cant give you latin names, but from what I know, yellow lotus, and pink lotus are hardy here, and flower well . The yellow species is the one that grows wild here.

As for Nymphaea, I know it grows in ponds here, but if I remember, they are taken out and stored for the winter. I cant remember offhand if there are hardy species. I have only ever seen them sold for aquariums, and taken out of the pond during the cold time of the year.

Either or, I have not personally heard of them going rampant. I do recall that the flowering on Nymphaena depends on the heat, and length of growing season here. The nelumbo species seem to flower all summer long.

Just a tidbit. My grandma created a floating bog for her pond. It stays afloat by itself, and is covered in bog species. Might work for the pitcher plant ( is hardy up into the middle of canada FYI!!)