Globe Artichokes

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

benboo
Location info: 0

Globe Artichokes

Post by benboo »

Next year, I am planning on experimenting with many new plants, one being the globe artichoke. I have seen reports of overwintering them outdoors in zone 6 (my zone) and even zone 5. Has anyone here ever grown them or attempted overwintering in the ground?
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Re: Globe Artichokes

Post by David »

This was my first year to grow artichokes. As I understand the situation they will winter over here in Middle Tennessee. They certainly suffered this summer from cabbage worms. I think they require 2 years to really produce but as I mentioned this is my first attempt at growing them.
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
benboo

Post by benboo »

*bumping back up*

This year, I bought two different varieties of purple artichoke seeds and cardoon seeds. I hope that at least one of the 30 artichoke seedlings is tough enough.
Samajax

Post by Samajax »

I have them as a landscape plant here in Austin. They come up late fall and are really putting off some serious leaves right now.

Just after they flower- May/early June, they start to go downhill and disappear until about November. Once the flower is done and the heat hits, I cut off the leaves as they go down hill.

Where they grow is an interesting combo- they come up right around a variegated soft-leaf yucca...Texas winter plant and Texas summer plant.

I'll try to snap a picture.

I've had them in the ground for about 5 years, and they've spread by root(?) to other locations. I do leave the flowers on, but I don't think I've ever had any viable seeds. The leaves are huge and the flower is a sweet ornamental.

I don't remember them being damaged from last years true winter- maybe 17 degree low?
Samajax

Post by Samajax »

Snapped a picture last night..Cardoon and yucca. A nice pair.
Cardoon- resized.JPG
Samajax

Post by Samajax »

First flower of the season...
Cardoon- resized.JPG
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

Nice pics Samajax
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com