ilex vomitoria

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

ilex vomitoria

Post by foxd »

Anybody growing Yaupon Holly (ilex vomitoria)? It is listed as Hardy to Zone 7, but I would be interested in trying to grow it in Zone 6 as a coffee/tea substitute. The leaves are used to prepare what is called "The Black Drink", which sounds like it would be just the thing to get me up and going in the morning. :sleepy2: :coffee2: :bounce:
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
bamboothew
Location info: 0

Re: ilex vomitoria

Post by bamboothew »

I don't know if I would chance drinking anything called "vomitoria" :lol:
God Bless,

Matthew

===============================

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
foxd

Post by foxd »

bamboothew wrote:I don't know if I would chance drinking anything called "vomitoria" :lol:
Yeah, the name seems to have originated from descriptions of an Indian purging ritual that may not have been entirely accurate. :roll:

"The Black Drink" apparently has a rather interesting history which I should read up on sometime. At one time it was quite popular and there is some suspicion that the the plant was named vomitoria in an attempt to destroy its popularity. It worked.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

foxd wrote:"The Black Drink" apparently has a rather interesting history which I should read up on sometime. At one time it was quite popular and there is some suspicion that the the plant was named vomitoria in an attempt to destroy its popularity. It worked.
And yet people have no problems with "compost tea", which is what I think of when you say "Black Drink". :lol:
foxd

Post by foxd »

Alan_L wrote:
foxd wrote:"The Black Drink" apparently has a rather interesting history which I should read up on sometime. At one time it was quite popular and there is some suspicion that the the plant was named vomitoria in an attempt to destroy its popularity. It worked.
And yet people have no problems with "compost tea", which is what I think of when you say "Black Drink". :lol:
I found that Google Books had some excerpts from a book titled: Black drink: a native American tea. Black Drink may have refered to a number of drinks the Indians used.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

If you attempt to drink this vomitoria concoction, just let us know beforehand, so we know why you disappeared off the forum.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Ilex diarrheia could be used to produce even darker drink. :mrgreen:
foxd

Post by foxd »

Iowaboo wrote:If you attempt to drink this vomitoria concoction, just let us know beforehand, so we know why you disappeared off the forum.
I will let people know when I try it, but I suspect the taste test will be uneventful. I did find that the USDA at one point tried to encourage interest in it as a cash crop. They were not successful.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

The Ilex vomitoria leaves arrived yesterday. I haven't had a chance to prepare the Black Drink™ yet, but I did try chewing one of the leaves for a bit. I didn't notice any effect from chewing the leaf, but then again my caffeine tolerance is kind of high. Definitely did not feel ill from it.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

Finally tried The Black Drink™ last night. It was uneventful. It does seem to be a perfectly good substitute for tea. I did feel a bit more alert after drinking it, but I'm not sure if that was due to the caffeine.

To summarize: no hallucinating, no vomiting, just a cup of tea.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

foxd wrote:To summarize: no hallucinating, no vomiting, just a cup of tea.
Those effects don't kick in until 24 hours later. :lol:
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

Alan_L wrote:
foxd wrote:To summarize: no hallucinating, no vomiting, just a cup of tea.
Those effects don't kick in until 24 hours later. :lol:
Of course, then there are the flashbacks years later :lol:
God Bless,

Matthew

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
foxd

Post by foxd »

I now have an Ilex vomitoria plant! I moved it to a larger pot when we got it home from Louisiana and it is now under growlights since I don't feel like risking it outside this Winter.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

May have to give this a try myself, I love edible landscaping! Hopefully you can get it to overwinter successfully there in your zone. I have some zone 8b-9 perennials planted on the west side of my house, protected there from most of the harsh wind, that have resprouted several springs now and spread, so I am getting somewhere around a zone's worth of protection there without even tarping or mulching. It is there I am hoping to convince some bambusa multiplexes to grow to decent size. Maybe if you have such a protected spot you can successfully grow the vomitoria outside!
God Bless,

Matthew

foxd

Post by foxd »

bamboothew wrote:May have to give this a try myself, I love edible landscaping! Hopefully you can get it to overwinter successfully there in your zone. I have some zone 8b-9 perennials planted on the west side of my house, protected there from most of the harsh wind, that have resprouted several springs now and spread, so I am getting somewhere around a zone's worth of protection there without even tarping or mulching. It is there I am hoping to convince some bambusa multiplexes to grow to decent size. Maybe if you have such a protected spot you can successfully grow the vomitoria outside!
I would have thought that the east side of the house would have been shielded from the worst of the Winter weather, but for some reason the Phy. aurea that does the best is on the west side catching the full brunt of the Winter wind. :? Obviously there is some other factor involved here.

From what I've read, the I. vomitoria does look to be hardy to Zone 7 and possibly Zone 6b. Hopefully I can keep it alive and get it to reproduce.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.