BAMBOOWEB.INFO
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:30 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Passiflora
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:30 pm
Posts: 3221
Location: Zone 5b/6a Bloomington, INElevation: 770-790 feet Location Details
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America
There is a Passiflora group on Facebook that might help ID it. They certainly helped out in figuring out what was going on with the one vine. A second guess on my part would be Passiflora edulis though there is a Passiflora incarnata 'Alba' that looks a lot like your picture.

Would you be interested in sending me some of the plants you dig up? I could dig up some P. incarnata for you in return.

_________________
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Passiflora
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:23 am
Posts: 107
Not sure I'll get around to digging up any plants. If i do, I'm not keen on shipping them. I'll certainly be delighted to mail you some of those seeds at no cost to you. I'll be glad to cover the postage and i don't need any plants or seeds in return. Plants are probably better, but seeds easier to mail.

I see sprigs of that 150' or more away from where i first saw it. I have a area in back that isn't mowed. It has several downed trees from storms and is grown up since we got rid of our goats. It's vigorous vine.

I'm semi retired now and am planning arbors for morning glories, grapes and passion flowers. Have some pretty purple morning glories now. First year to grow them. I grow basjoo bananas and a few tropicals. Will redo the greenhouse this fall to be heated to 45 degrees at night. And of course i have about 10 bamboo varieties.

I've been looking for good vine candidates for my arbors. These passion flower ones should be a good. I haven't noticed butterflies, but the bumble bees sure like them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Passiflora
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:14 pm
Posts: 4503
Location: Esparto, CA
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America
It's kudzu like in aggression in favorable climates.

_________________
Brad Salmon, zone 9 Esparto, CA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Passiflora
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:13 pm
Posts: 2811
Location: St. Louis area Location Details
needmore wrote:
It's kudzu like in aggression in favorable climates.
But with much nicer blooms. :)

_________________
Alan.
My blog: It's not work, it's gardening!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Passiflora
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:30 pm
Posts: 3221
Location: Zone 5b/6a Bloomington, INElevation: 770-790 feet Location Details
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America
Alan_L wrote:
needmore wrote:
It's kudzu like in aggression in favorable climates.
But with much nicer blooms. :)


I wouldn't say kudzu like though I am hoping it will out compete the bind weed at the side of the house. (I've fought a losing battle against the bind weed for years.) Besides I like the idea of getting a lot of the flowers and fruit. (I found a book that has recipes for both Maypop and Pawpaws.)

_________________
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Passiflora
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:30 pm
Posts: 3221
Location: Zone 5b/6a Bloomington, INElevation: 770-790 feet Location Details
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America
Arkansas wrote:
Not sure I'll get around to digging up any plants. If i do, I'm not keen on shipping them. I'll certainly be delighted to mail you some of those seeds at no cost to you. I'll be glad to cover the postage and i don't need any plants or seeds in return. Plants are probably better, but seeds easier to mail.

I see sprigs of that 150' or more away from where i first saw it. I have a area in back that isn't mowed. It has several downed trees from storms and is grown up since we got rid of our goats. It's vigorous vine.

I'm semi retired now and am planning arbors for morning glories, grapes and passion flowers. Have some pretty purple morning glories now. First year to grow them. I grow basjoo bananas and a few tropicals. Will redo the greenhouse this fall to be heated to 45 degrees at night. And of course i have about 10 bamboo varieties.

I've been looking for good vine candidates for my arbors. These passion flower ones should be a good. I haven't noticed butterflies, but the bumble bees sure like them.


I'd love to get some seeds if not the plants. Maybe you could send me a few of the ripe fruit.

I have some Gynostemma pentaphyllum (Immortality Vine) that I have been meaning to test for Winter Hardiness though the last Winter has made me somewhat reluctant to do so. :?

Carpenter Bees have a hairless black spot on their backs and are what I normally see around the flowers.

Image

Hummingbirds also seem to like the flowers.

_________________
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Passiflora
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:23 am
Posts: 107
I did pot up 3 or 4 sprouts. If they do good til fall weather, I'll let you know and ship 2 of them your way. Earlier in the year seemed the blooms had more of a lilac color. Now sometimes some look pure white. At any rate, they are interesting. We've had the wettest year I've seen in 58 years. much like last summer, but even wetter. The lawns usually will start turning brown in July but this year, they have stayed green all summer. It's remarkable really. Good year!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Passiflora
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:30 pm
Posts: 3221
Location: Zone 5b/6a Bloomington, INElevation: 770-790 feet Location Details
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America
Arkansas wrote:
I did pot up 3 or 4 sprouts. If they do good til fall weather, I'll let you know and ship 2 of them your way. Earlier in the year seemed the blooms had more of a lilac color. Now sometimes some look pure white. At any rate, they are interesting. We've had the wettest year I've seen in 58 years. much like last summer, but even wetter. The lawns usually will start turning brown in July but this year, they have stayed green all summer. It's remarkable really. Good year!


Sounds like a plan!

I've been keeping an eye on the tetraploid, it is huge! Flowers were about the same size as the regular Passiflora but the fruit that is developing seems heavier and slightly oddly shaped with several brown stripes.

_________________
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Passiflora
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:30 pm
Posts: 3221
Location: Zone 5b/6a Bloomington, INElevation: 770-790 feet Location Details
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America
Fruit with brown stripes.

Attachment:
DSCF0056.jpg
DSCF0056.jpg [ 80.45 KiB | Viewed 3312 times ]

_________________
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Passiflora
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:23 am
Posts: 107
Nice pic. Are flowers similar to the ones commonly seen?

Sprouts i potted doing well (in those so-called gallon pots - more like 3/4 gallon at best). I'll wait another month or so to give them time to adjust and cooler weather and try my hand at packing and shipping. Please private message your shipping address and I'll make mention of a shipping date about a month from now, so you can look for them. Hot here today. 4 to 6 weeks we should be cooled off about right.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Passiflora
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:30 pm
Posts: 3221
Location: Zone 5b/6a Bloomington, INElevation: 770-790 feet Location Details
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America
Arkansas wrote:
Nice pic. Are flowers similar to the ones commonly seen?

Sprouts i potted doing well (in those so-called gallon pots - more like 3/4 gallon at best). I'll wait another month or so to give them time to adjust and cooler weather and try my hand at packing and shipping. Please private message your shipping address and I'll make mention of a shipping date about a month from now, so you can look for them. Hot here today. 4 to 6 weeks we should be cooled off about right.


Flowers are very similar, perhaps a little darker in color. Leaves are much larger than normal. The stripes on the fruit I'm still checking on.

I private messaged you my shipping address.

_________________
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Passiflora
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:14 pm
Posts: 4503
Location: Esparto, CA
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America
foxd wrote:
Alan_L wrote:
needmore wrote:
It's kudzu like in aggression in favorable climates.
But with much nicer blooms. :)


I wouldn't say kudzu like though I am hoping it will out compete the bind weed at the side of the house. (I've fought a losing battle against the bind weed for years.) Besides I like the idea of getting a lot of the flowers and fruit. (I found a book that has recipes for both Maypop and Pawpaws.)



If you see them growing in hawai'i you'd get the kudzu reference.

_________________
Brad Salmon, zone 9 Esparto, CA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Passiflora
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:30 pm
Posts: 3221
Location: Zone 5b/6a Bloomington, INElevation: 770-790 feet Location Details
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America
Okay, I can picture them being Kudzu like in Hawaii.

After posting a picture and asking on a Passiflora group it looks like the stripes on the fruit are rare. I also found fruit on one of my other P. incarnata vines so I could compare the weight with the striped fruit. Yes, the striped fruit does have a heavier feel to it. Early pulp development?

_________________
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Passiflora
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:13 pm
Posts: 2811
Location: St. Louis area Location Details
Dan, my maypop has some fruit with the stripes on it too this year. Not quite as pronounced as yours, but certainly there. It seems like it's on the vine that has the largest leaves too.

_________________
Alan.
My blog: It's not work, it's gardening!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Passiflora
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:30 pm
Posts: 3221
Location: Zone 5b/6a Bloomington, INElevation: 770-790 feet Location Details
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America
Alan_L wrote:
Dan, my maypop has some fruit with the stripes on it too this year. Not quite as pronounced as yours, but certainly there. It seems like it's on the vine that has the largest leaves too.


Interesting, I've noticed several other plant have produced slight stripping on a couple of their fruit this year too. It's apparently a very variable species.

_________________
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group