Passiflora

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Passiflora

Post by foxd »

foxd wrote:I may have mentioned in the past that one of the Passion Flower vines would produce fruit that had four brown stripes on it. This year this particular vine seems larger and more aggressive than the others. Leaves have turned a dark green color and are 8-9 inches across. (There may be larger leaves.) It has outgrown and looks like it is getting ready to attack the bindweed. :shock:

No sign of flowers yet. I will try and post pictures with something for scale.
Attachments
Huge Maypop Leaf
Huge Maypop Leaf
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
foxd

Post by foxd »

I'm finding some of the leaves are actually over ten inches across. :shock:

I've also cleared away a lot of the bindweed and noticed a few more things. All the vines with extremely large leaves emerge from one spot in the ground. Vines with normal sized leaves have emerged from several feet away. So whatever the mutation it only happened to a small section of the plant. It may be a spontaneous tetraploid, it certainly fits the description.
foxd wrote:
foxd wrote:I may have mentioned in the past that one of the Passion Flower vines would produce fruit that had four brown stripes on it. This year this particular vine seems larger and more aggressive than the others. Leaves have turned a dark green color and are 8-9 inches across. (There may be larger leaves.) It has outgrown and looks like it is getting ready to attack the bindweed. :shock:

No sign of flowers yet. I will try and post pictures with something for scale.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
foxd

Post by foxd »

A couple of more tings I've found out. The characteristics of the vine are typical of a tetraploid and it was suggested on one forum that it looked like an incident of spontaneous polyploidy. One method of inducing polyploidy is cold shock. Could last Winter have caused this?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

johnw
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

Is there a chance the Passiflora was grafted and has only now rooted itself? Sometimes the graft can impair or increase functions.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
foxd

Post by foxd »

johnw wrote:Is there a chance the Passiflora was grafted and has only now rooted itself? Sometimes the graft can impair or increase functions.
No chance whatsoever, the Passiflora was raised from a seedling that had shown no signs of polyploidy.

I've been reading up on polyploidy and found some interesting facts with some interesting implications leading to some speculations on my part. For instance, polyploidy tends to occur more in either extremely hot or extremely cold environments which lead to the belief that polyploids were more hardy than diploids. However actual studies do not bear that out. Taking this fact along with the fact that heat or cold shock has been used to induce polyploidy strongly suggests that exremely hot or cold environments induce actually polyploidy rather than selecting for polyploidy. Now considering how bad last Winter was, not just in how cold it was, but in the wild swings in temperature over short periods of time, I would tend to think that a lot of polyploidy was induced in the growing parts of plants that survived the Winter. Now if there are a lot more tetraploids around there is a lot more chance that different species will cross and produce fertile offspring. There may be new species out there that resulted from our bad Winter.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

kreos123

Post by kreos123 »

canadianplant

Post by canadianplant »

Anyone know a good source for maypop seeds?
foxd

Post by foxd »

canadianplant wrote:Anyone know a good source for maypop seeds?
I probably have some somewhere. If not I will have more shortly. :)
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

The vine now has buds, but they appear smaller than normal. :? I probably ought to measure them since I may just be subconsciously comparing them to the size of the leaves. I measured one leaf as 11.5 inches across. :shock:
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Arkansas

Post by Arkansas »

I just learned today that this pic is some species of Passiflora (or so i am told). It grows wild here for 3 years or more and I took this pic today to learn what it was. Vines can be 20' to 30' or longer and look real healthy. I'm considering drying some of those fruits to save seeds and build a trellis / arbor for them. I'm guess they are edible from comments here. I also read there are about 500 species of the plant, so not sure if this one is good to eat or not. Pretty vine though.

Any comments about this variety (and seed saving) are most welcome.
Attachments
003.JPG
foxd

Post by foxd »

Definitely a Passiflora of some type though the bloom is just a white blur in the photo. Aside from growing from seeds, the plant does produce suckers so you can propagate it more easily that way.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Arkansas

Post by Arkansas »

Blooms are a light lavender. Thanks for sharing about the sucker suggestion!
foxd

Post by foxd »

Arkansas wrote:Blooms are a light lavender. Thanks for sharing about the sucker suggestion!
Then I'm inclined to think it is Passiflora incarnata which is native.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

But that fruit is so round and shiny! My incarnata fruits are all oblong and dull.
Arkansas

Post by Arkansas »

I read about oblong fruits but this variety is all round and all about 2" diameter, maybe a few a wee bit bigger. I took more pics a bit ago. All blooms are light lavender but my photo skills are lacking and they all show white in pics. I must have a dozen or more fruits, where i can access them and more hard to get to. I've read how to cure and save seeds and plan to try my hand at it in a few weeks when they turn yellow. If successful, my pleasure to send a couple dozen seeds to anyone who sends their address (as long as they last). Maybe you can see a hint of lavender in this pic.
Attachments
003.JPG