Invasive Plant

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Invasive Plant

Post by foxd »

I have my suspicions about this plant growing in the neighboring lot, but I want to verify them here. Does anybody know what this plant is:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/danielbfo ... pg&.src=ph

There are three pictures at the link.

Whatever it is, it has spread massively in the past year and I found a couple had cropped up in my yard yesterday.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

RE: Invasive Plant

Post by Iowaboo »

My suspicion is that this thread belongs in this thread......
http://bambooweb.info/bb/viewtopic.php?t=334&start=0

If it grows in a rhizome-spreading thicket, with canes somewhat looking like bamboo, and has white flowers; chances are, it is japanese knotweed. I wouldn't mind a start of it, if its j. knotweed :?: . If you can hook me up with some, let me know :twisted:
For research purposes, of course.
8)
needmore
Location info: 0

Post by needmore »

Dan, positive ID on the Polygonum Cuspidatum. Send it to Lancet ASAP. Way, way tougher to get rid of than bamboo so you can focus the well-intentioned-poor-communicating-dead ending neighbor group on this plant if they ever mention bamboo. Several locals in Bton have had me come ID their 'bamboo' so beware that many think the PG is bamboo. A friend once told me she had spent the weekend transplanting bamboo into her front yard and when I asked her to describe it and she mentioned the large spade shaped leaves & white flowers...it was painful to tell her to think about immediately pulling it all out and not to leave any little broken pieces anywhere.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
foxd

Post by foxd »

Oh great! I have a major infestation right next door! Man! It spreads fast! :shock:

It just...like...took over! :shock:

Lancet, could you foot the bill on the semi-trailers needed to transport it all? :shock:
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

Doesn't sound like I would need all of it, just a small start can start a colony. 8)
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

foxd,
For the benefit of others, KILL IT!!!! In suburban Pittsburgh it doesn't seem like it's too big a problem, but closer to the city and around the rivers it is. I was at the Pittsburgh Zoo again and rode their train to find knotweed all over the place. It's really scary how it takes over everything.

Lance,
I understand that you do whatever is needed on the plant maintenance side, but be careful not to let it spread via seeds. I'm assuming from what I saw at the zoo (and without knowing much more than how invasive it is), it dies back like a perennial and comes back gangbusters in the spring. May want to reconsider this one.

I had the plant w/ the purple stalks and blue/purple berries that are somewhat invasive, in my yard. This stuff is not even half as bad as knotweed. I dumped strait concentrated weed killer on its cut off stalks to kill it. Had about a 3 foot diameter circle of it. Couple days ago I was planting something and found the rhizomes were still alive and would have resurfaced soon. Would think it be even harder to get rid of knotweed. Just my opinion though, and would like to hear of others that have had to battle this stuff.
Rick
CadyG
Zone 6b

Like Kyuzo (pictured above) in "The Seven Samurai," I've "...Killed (more than) two..." bamboos.

Post by CadyG »

Double whammy: Japanese knotweed AND Norway maple. Ew.
Cady G.
"Killed two..." -- Seiji Miyaguchi/Kyuzo
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

For the benefit of others, KILL IT!!!!

I don't think foxd can kill it all. Most of it is on neighbor's side so far :? He would have to convince the neighbor to have a century-long war against the plant.

I had the plant w/ the purple stalks and blue/purple berries that are somewhat invasive
Pokeweed. Pokeweed spreads via birds. No rhizomes. Just a very long taproot, which helps it from getting killed by someone's hoe.

The major way knotweed spreads is by rhizomes. The rhizomes go way deeper than bamboo, so people can't dig them out that well. From what I've read is that there are female and male plants. Female plant is the one in the united states and uk. It is possible to cross-pollinate with various other members in the polygonum genus, but seed doesn't germinate the best, even if its viable. Brought to various countries because of its ornamental appeal and grazing biomass potential. Mass emigration to cities can be cited in many cases for invasive plants covering mass acres in rural areas.

I understand many people hate bindwind also. But I see nothing but good results from that plant. Supposedly, roots go down 20+ feet , so that drought doesn't even affect it. :shock:

*Traveling the great seas of iowa, arhhh
CadyG
Zone 6b

Like Kyuzo (pictured above) in "The Seven Samurai," I've "...Killed (more than) two..." bamboos.

Post by CadyG »

Lance,
Since your latest avatar screams "pirate," here's a website to help you with your buccaneer lingo. Arrrr me hearty. (You probably already have this site, but what the hey).

http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/ga ... rspeak.htm#
Cady G.
"Killed two..." -- Seiji Miyaguchi/Kyuzo
Jeff: Igor's Apprentice

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

Shiver me timber bamboo- you don't really want to plant that stuff, do you?
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

Shiver me timber bamboo- you don't really want to plant that stuff, do you?
Yes, I do really want to plant it. No problems in this western location. Most land under cultivation. Vigorous plants tend to suffer against farming.
8)
foxd

Post by foxd »

The more I find out about this plant, the more I think it is not a good idea to plant, unless you want it as your only plant. Looking at the neighboring lot, there are spots where it is the only plant. It can send rhizomes 10 feet into the ground and can sprout from bits of debris. This cannot be good.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

I tend to agree. If I had only a yard, as such in many subdivisions, I would not want japanese knotweed either. The plant is too potent for such small sq. footage.
It can send rhizomes 10 feet into the ground and can sprout from bits of debris. This cannot be good.
As an ornamental plant one wants to keep in the corner of their yard, it would be totally in the wrong place.

But it depends on the purpose. I research plants for their utility(such as grazing, biomass production). Any ornamental aspects come secondary. In my book, the more vigorous, the better.
8)
Don't worry foxd, if you gave me some, I don't think anything bad could come of it. :twisted:
Jeff: Igor's Apprentice

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

Why grow what is considered a noxious weed? Agriculture is hard on them, but they are also very hard on agriculture. Weeds can easily adapt and become problematic even where they are not as of yet, that is in part what makes them weeds.

I think that you might undermine the good you could do for the promotion of bamboo by deliberately planting a weed in your garden. If I didn't know much about bamboo, but had a good grasp of how THIS plant is seen nationwide and I came to your garden it would only reinforce any negative notions I had about boo. Even if you got me to understand that bamboo and this plant were very different, I would still probably think your garden was CRAZY, not cutting-edge or even clever. Your possibly well-educated talk about boo would be drowned out by the sight of a big ol' weed patch that you had deliberately cultivated.

:glasses5: :glasses4: :glasses5: Besides, under the Federal Noxious Weed Act of 1974, the Secretary of Agriculture has the authority to seize, treat, destroy and dispose of items that have been contaminated with a noxious weed. THERE goes your boo once your Polygonum goes to seed!
Not to mention what happens if you get it on your person!!!!!!!!! :violent3:
We could hope they would opt for the "treat". But then, they may not stop at treating your body since you are deliberately cultivating weeds. :lol: Electroshock, anyone? :shock: :lol:
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

I think that you might undermine the good you could do for the promotion of bamboo by deliberately planting a weed in your garden
hoe_NC, I think what I was trying to say went over your head. I don't plant any bamboo or "weeds" as you call them in a garden. Only plants I plant in a legal definition of garden is vegetable annuals. Remember, what is considered weed to you, isn't necessarily a weed to me.

What is a weed?
"Any plant whose virtues have not been discovered"

8)
Even if you got me to understand that bamboo and this plant were very different
Actually, they are quite similar because they both have a running habit. Common folk will not grow running boo. Only bamboo with a mass audience is clumping boo.