Bhut Jolokia aka Ghost Peppers.

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

mantis
Location info: 22

Bhut Jolokia aka Ghost Peppers.

Post by mantis »

A friend got some seeds from the guy that first created the Bhut Jolokia. He gave me one small seedling a few months ago. I finally got some flowers a few weeks ago, and fruit started to set last week. Here is a pic I took tonight.

Here is some info on the pepper: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhut_Jolokia_chili_pepper
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Re: Bhut Jolokia aka Ghost Peppers.

Post by stevelau1911 »

I have several bhut jolokias along with 5 other hot pepper species, and the thing I find with super hot species like ghost peppers is that they create huge leaves, and based on their growth pattern, they'll take a long time to produce fruit. I planted mine about 2 months ago, and the ghost peppers are only around 3-7 inches in height, and they are also very prone to getting eaten by insects so I've had to use bayer powder on them almost constantly. Hopefully they'll gain some resistance once they get a bit bigger.

My Cayenne peppers have some already over 1ft tall and fruiting already so the ones that are less hot seem to have a faster life cycle. I also have an aero-garden which tends to make peppers grow twice as fast as they do outdoors so I'll have the slow growers in there over the winter.
Bamboo Outlaw
Location info: 0
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

I tried one a few years back and it dampened off. My loss. Good luck.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

stevelau1911 wrote:I have several bhut jolokias along with 5 other hot pepper species, and the thing I find with super hot species like ghost peppers is that they create huge leaves, and based on their growth pattern, they'll take a long time to produce fruit. I planted mine about 2 months ago, and the ghost peppers are only around 3-7 inches in height, and they are also very prone to getting eaten by insects so I've had to use bayer powder on them almost constantly. Hopefully they'll gain some resistance once they get a bit bigger.

My Cayenne peppers have some already over 1ft tall and fruiting already so the ones that are less hot seem to have a faster life cycle. I also have an aero-garden which tends to make peppers grow twice as fast as they do outdoors so I'll have the slow growers in there over the winter.
I have a bunch of other peppers growing as well... White, orange, red, and chocolate habaneros. Purple, green, Fooled you, and Nacho Grande jalapenos. And then some other random hot peppers... hot cherry, inferno, Chinese 5 color, and Tepin. I'm also growing a few sweet peppers... Marconi, yellow stuffing, fajita & green bells. Just starting some Padrons & pepperoncinis.