Hops?

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

Alan_L
Location info: 81

Hops?

Post by Alan_L »

Is anybody growing hops? Each year I keep thinking that I'd like to try growing this vine, but never do. Trying to find out what the pros and cons are of it, how long it takes to get established, etc.
moriphen
Location info: 0
Location: Southern New Jersey 7b about 5 mins from Philadelphia, PA

Re: Hops?

Post by moriphen »

Second the interest, love some 1st hand accounts

M
M
Bamboo4me
Location info: 0

Re: Hops?

Post by Bamboo4me »

Alan_L wrote:Is anybody growing hops? Each year I keep thinking that I'd like to try growing this vine, but never do. Trying to find out what the pros and cons are of it, how long it takes to get established, etc.
Hops are like Bamboo and take a while to size up.
I've been growing Cascade and Nugget for about 7 years.
Nugget Hop
Alpha Acid: 11-14%
Usage: Flavor, Aroma, and Bittering
Cascade Hop
Alpha Acid: 5-7%
Usage: Flavor, Aroma, and Bittering. Very versatile hop that presents itself as citrusy and flowery.

I grow them up strings into trees to make shade in the summer.
They too seem to like high nitrogen and get growing like running bamboo after established.( not as invasive, but I don't water much)

Fresh hops really make a difference in beer making.

I had a bunch I was forces to dig out last year. I'll know if they make it in about 3 weeks if it ever gets above 60.
I just took a bunch of the rhizomes and put them in 15 gallon pots. I still have a bunch in the ground and will know how they are when it warms.

I'm sure they could dig them all with the tractor that was trying to eradicate them. (Another story).
40+ varieties; trying to stay close to that until I get them all in the ground. 1 + acre to grow on. 30 in the ground!