Sweet Violet (Viola Odorata)

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

Alan_L
Location info: 81

Sweet Violet (Viola Odorata)

Post by Alan_L »

Does anybody grow these? My lawn is full of common blue violet (Viola papilionacea) and I thought it would be nice to introduce a fragrant variety too. I'm looking for plants, as the seed is apparently difficult to germinate, or must be sown in the fall.
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Sweet Violet (Viola Odorata)

Post by foxd »

I've noticed that some of the violets growing in the yard are white. Is this common?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

Yes. There are purple ones ("violet" I guess), white ones, and some that are white with violet. Some are lighter violet too.

But I assume you're talking about the weedy ones that aren't fragrant, right?
GrowingHabit
Location info: 0

Post by GrowingHabit »

I have been working for 8, 9 years to get odorata spread about our garden, and blooming enough to collect 2 packed cups of flowers, for violet jam. Which, by the way, is out of this world. I've only collected enough blooms for a batch twice in my life, by haunting... well, old and dilapidated... places. Wow is that jam delicious. But you have to have a very odorific variety to start with, or its a pointless endeavor.

I dug a small patch of odorata violets from a friend's house, when she was about to move out. The patch didn't take, and the house was sold, and I thought I'd lost them forever. They are hard to come by. But, about a year after they had died off, up pops this good sized patch, and lo and behold, it hangs on and starts thriving. And over the following years, I became ever less careful about babying it, and just grab up whatever of it I want to move, and plunk it in the ground, any time of year, and it starts growing. I think I have enough this year on my own property to make jam. Maybe a half batch. But by this time, I'm not even sure where the recipe is. :roll:
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

Dan: this page has several photos on the right side, one of them is a row of picked violet flowers showing the range of colors:

http://www.msuturfweeds.net/details/_/wild_violet_17/

Pretty cool!