Signs of spring 2011

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Signs of spring 2011

Post by Alan_L »

Yes, probably. I'll definitely try harder this year to overwinter some of these. That's one thing I've learned over the past few years: it's not always cold that kills plants over the winter, sometimes it's the wetness.
needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

I bought from them once so I now annually get a catalogue from High Country Gardens I think it is, and they have hardy interesting desert plants but scarcely a one of them can take our wet cold...
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Yep. You have to avoid any HGC plant that has the little cowboy hat icon next to it.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Alan_L wrote:Yep. You have to avoid any HGC plant that has the little cowboy hat icon next to it.
Alan where I live it is difficult to avoid things with cowboy hat icons, just try shopping at Bear Hardware with their background musak and you'll see.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

One of the fastest things to come up regardless of snow cover or brutal cold is garlic. One thing I notice about garlic is that they seem to thrive in the wettest spots, and grow much faster than everywhere else.

Here's a picture of the bulblets that were planted right next to the Atrovaginata which is the area that stays damp the most often since there are no tree roots, and it is one of the lowest spots in the garden. They're about 3X the size of the ones planted everywhere else. I'm not sure if that's why my atrovaginata seems to always retain the least leaf burn each winter.

Here's a picture showing the average size of the garlic bulblet plants from other spots.

Of course the garlic started from gloves are much farther along, but those started out with about 20X more plant mass the the bulblets, but it looks like they really like damp soil. I might put my gunnera division next to the atrovaginata if things grow so well here. The dandelions and weeds tend to grow taller in this area too.
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

Just a few more things. Here's my 6 varieties of hot peppers, banana, bhut jolokia, devil's tongue, cayenne, pequin, trinidad scorpion. They will go out in another 6 weeks or so after the last frost.

sempervivum top view. These are also known as hens and chicks, and I just added aerated worm tea to all my stuff for the 2nd time, so these guys should react well. It seems like vegetables or soft plants that grow quickly tend to make noticeable growth with the use of worm tea. I poured some on the boos too, but I don't think it will really help them.

A lot of tree peonies are finally starting to emerge, but they were planted last summer, and probably won't grow more than 1-2 leaves for the year no matter how much they get pampered.
moriphen
Location: Southern New Jersey 7b about 5 mins from Philadelphia, PA

Post by moriphen »

Our purple bearded iris is about to bloom.

Steve, your ground looks just like ours.. Mud with a side of mud...

M
M
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

Spring should be pretty evident in another week or so based on how the plants look, so all we need is it to reach avg temperatures for a few days.

kiwi leaves

Cherry

Pear

Blueberry