Signs of spring 2011

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Signs of spring 2011

Post by stevelau1911 »

Here's just a few of the signs of spring that I noticed since most of the snow has melted away today.

Elephant Garlic. These were planted last fall, but I didn't notice them until this latest warm-up

Crocus?, I'm not sure what this is but it is obviously growing

Zebra grass

F rufa. Most of them are starting to put out some leaf growth as shown by the lighter green color, no shoots yet

The most impressive plant I have is currently the gunnera manicata which has put out a nearly 1ft diameter corm which has noticeably pushed the leaf bag higher as it grows a bit with each thaw. I can't wait to see what this does by April.
bamboothew
Location info: 0

Re: Signs of spring 2011

Post by bamboothew »

I have garlic coming up as well, and my hardy sugar cane, Saccharum arundinaceum, has begun active growth! Also, 4 of my five Arundo cultivars are shooting: Arundo donax species form, "Versicolor", "Peppermint Stick", and "Golden Chains." The variegated forms all started over a week ago and the species form started yesterday. Arundo formosona is the only one lagging behind now. Hopefully the shoots are tough enough to withstand any light frost we may have between now and spring...

Also, jonquils are in bloom all over the place around here :)
God Bless,

Matthew

===============================

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

It gets pretty exciting once plants start budding because it only gets better from here on out. So far in the past week, about half the days have exceeded 32F, and there is supposed to be a noticeable warm-up in the following week which should get rid if the remaining 2-3 inches of snow still left.

Here's some more plant pictures.

Blueberries: Most of them already have swelling buds, and might produce some fruit this year.

Poppy: This flower is also one of the first to come up each year.

Day lily

Peony

Fargesia Rufa: These are always the first to shoot
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

I noticed yesterday that most of my Fallopia/Persicaria/Polygonum types are starting to shoot: "Freckles," "Red Dragon," "Variegata," "Painter's Pallette," and Polygonum aubertii--the only one of that clan still dormant in my yard now is Fallopia Japonica "Crimson Beauty."

Also noticed that my Pleioblastus fortuneii is leafing out, as well as an unidentified ground cover that looks like some sort of Pleio as well.

My Arundinaria appalachiana is also greening up some already, which is strange since the wild grove I got mine from still looks totally blond. I'm assuming this means that part of my yard has a good microclimate thing going on!
God Bless,

Matthew

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Spring is coming to Central Europe too. It was full sun but only 6°C today. Nights are still at around -6°C, but in just a few days they should get above freezing.

Bees are working hard from early beginning, take a look at this bee's cargo. :)

And butterfly, what would we do without caterpillars gnawing on our favourite plants.

White snow got replaced with white flowers.
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

Noticed today that my Northern Sea Oats are shooting. Can't recall the latin name for this, Chassomethingium Latisomethingum I think :) Anyway, It has really pretty shoots!
God Bless,

Matthew

stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

As long as it stays above freezing, plants will continue to emerge from their dormancy. Here's an update.

The garlic will need to be fertilized pretty soon since they've started growing since the snow melted last week. This one's growing so fast that it ripped its skin, and they will create 3ft tall stalks once they mature.

Looks like blueberry plants will start making fruit this year.

Tulips usually blossom by the first week of April.

The sempervivum frosty succulent plants are starting to look a lot fuller now that their roots can take in water. I transplanted these to a different spot since I needed to make room to plant my other sempervivum species.
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

Just noticed that my 4 year old rosemary plants are blooming for the first time. The little blue flowers look pretty neat! If anyone here hasn't tried growing rosemary, I would highly recommend it. It is very easy to grow and drought tolerant, growing into a 3 foot or so evergreen shrub. Very ornamental! Of course, it has the added benefit of being very pleasantly oderiiferous and delicious!
God Bless,

Matthew

Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

and disappointingly not reliable in zone 6. Even the 'Arp' Rosemary variety doesn't make it for me here, except maybe a small part of a protected plant. I keep trying every year though. Maybe I'll cover over one this year...
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

Alan_L wrote:and disappointingly not reliable in zone 6. Even the 'Arp' Rosemary variety doesn't make it for me here, except maybe a small part of a protected plant. I keep trying every year though. Maybe I'll cover over one this year...
The last Rosemary I bought I didn't even bother to plant it outside. I kept it in a pot in the basement for the Winter. I didn't even know they bloomed. :shock: Somthing else to look forward to seeing it bloom. (I hope to one day see the banana and pineapple plants bloom.)

I did discover that it is easy to root Rosemary cuttings and I now have a couple of small plants growing in plastic cups. Nice to know I can now backup my Rosemary.

As for Signs of Spring, I was noticing that shoots from the Solomon Seal are starting to emerge. I'm also seeing cautious growth from the Allegheny Vine.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

My Miscanthus giganteus started shooting today, 2 shoots so far. No wonder the Chinese sometimes call it bamboo grass: both the old culms from last year and this year's new shoots look very much like bamboo! This plant excites me because it is very lush and has the capability of getting HUGE by "ornamental grass" standards, 14ft. Of course, we know that Moso is really ornamental grass :)
God Bless,

Matthew

moriphen
Location: Southern New Jersey 7b about 5 mins from Philadelphia, PA

Post by moriphen »

Hostas are now up
M
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

moriphen wrote:Hostas are now up
Mine too, and also the Wisteria sinensis started blooming in this area. Beautiful plant, but it is everywhere!

Also, some of my Opuntias are starting to bud!
God Bless,

Matthew

bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

Noticed today that one of my Musa bajoos is breaking ground. Also, there is growth on the chameleon plant. The chameleon plant is very interesting: after I planted it, it seemed to dissapear for 2 years, then last spring it came back--to take over the world, if I believed everything I read about it on gardening forums :D
God Bless,

Matthew

needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Alan_L wrote:and disappointingly not reliable in zone 6. Even the 'Arp' Rosemary variety doesn't make it for me here, except maybe a small part of a protected plant. I keep trying every year though. Maybe I'll cover over one this year...
I suspect that rosemary is one of those plants that can not tolerate wet cold, so it may help to treat it like a marginally hardy succlent in terms of soil/winter protection?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com