Hardy Ginger

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Hardy Ginger

Post by needmore »

I had a 3 year old, large flowering clump of Ginger, the Kahili cultivar, growing in a pot that I wintered over indoors every year. Last fall I decided that it was getting too big to keep bringing in so I planted it in the ground and very lightly covered it with maybe 3 inches of mulch. I noticed this morning that it is sending up several new shoots so this may be a nice addition to zone 6 gardens, although it is usually listed as marginally zone 7. I'll be interested to see if it has the energy to flower again this year.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

RE: Hardy Ginger

Post by Iowaboo »

I noticed this morning that it is sending up several new shoots so this may be a nice addition to zone 6 gardens, although it is usually listed as marginally zone 7
A possible cause of having a mild winter, ehh? :shock:

I would have liked to see it come back from your -10sF a couple years back. 8)
needmore
Location info: 0

Post by needmore »

Yeah, we'll see... it went through 3F with no snow cover and very little mulch last winter and we very rarely get subzero without some appreciable snow cover so I wonder if it were mulched and snowed in, if it were more or less the same temp in there. Time will tell, I'm not digging it back up.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

it went through 3F with no snow cover and very little mulch last winter
:shock: Wow, your a risk taker. First, parvifolia with rodent holes running around it, then, little mulch for you tropical ginger. :lol:

Arundo donax was listed as zone 6, so I put 2ft height of mulch on top of it for its first winter. I thought, no way am I going to lose this plant.
That is the interesting thing about perennials, even if they aren't hardy, one can unload mulch on them for extra zone protection.

Have you ever tried gunnera? Or is that a no-no in the north. I was thinking it would be fun to try someday, but maybe I'll stick with petasites and rhubarb.

8)
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

I tried planting some Cardamom outside to see how it would handle the winter. It did not survive.

I did find out that Cardamom is a type of Ginger. I never had it flower though.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.