Stairs/bench project

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

fredgpops
Location info: 0
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Stairs/bench project

Post by fredgpops »

Building stairs up the back of my steep lot.

At landing #1, I'm prparing to build a bench with stone and bamboo facing. This photo shows prep work.

Any suggestions on how to finish the bamboo ie. varnish, etc?

RGds
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Stairs/bench project

Post by foxd »

I did try an experiment with treating the bamboo with acetone before applying polyurethane varnish. The varnish held much better than on an untreated piece.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Very attractive stone work! A small recirculating stream would be beautiful flowing along the side of the steps and the water sounds would enhance the sitting/meditating/resting/recuperating experience.

I have used gloss polyurethane on bamboo that I prepped with 600 grit sandpaper until smooth and free of the surface waxes, and have had no flaking of the poly. I have also used a torch and melted the surface waxes and rubbed vigorously with a towel which makes a beautiful slick warm looking finish. The surface seems very hard and does repel water, but I have not tested it over time in the elements.
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Thanks for the suggestions. Photo shows positioning of bamboo for top bench. Using Madake culms.
Not easy because of culm irrigularities. Used split culms for vertical slats. Other problems - some culms too new and hard to cut without splitting. Goof to season bamboo prior to using on a project. This project needs a eyeball vs good measurements because of the changing diameter. How to hold the bamboo down? Will address this next.
David
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Fred-

I wrap the area I am going to cut with a layer of masking tape, and cut with metal cutting fine toothed hack saw or a very fine toothed band saw. Seems to keep the splintering to a minimum.
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

David - I bought a Japanese super fine cut pull saw today. I am redoing some of the culms that splintered. I have cut up 3 culms using duct tape on the ends. The saw cuts culms like butter and the tape eliminates splinters. Thanks for the info. Rgds
David

Post by David »

Sounds like just the ticket.
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Project update:
1) Top of bench is 5X 3 1/2 ft. ( 9 horizontal culms, two 1/2 culm verticle slats, 1 small verticle culm acting as a dowel thru the middle. Started over - original culms were too uneven diameter wise plus cuts for slats were not good.
2) This is a eyeball more than a ruler/measurement project. Nothing is square or perfectly round.
My cement block foundation was not square either so I had the worst of all worlds.
3) Sharp tools are very important. The Japanese fine tooth saw was a must. The use of tape to eliminate splintering and keeping track of part location was important as well.
4) Recut verticle and horizontal parts leaving extra length for correction process. Using best measurments available, lined up horizontal culms. Had to move them around as space irrigularities became clear. Labled top/bottom # with tape. Put X on best top position. Arranged slats on top, strictly a eyeball deal, and ran a pencil down the sides. I taped the sides inside the pencil lines too allow me correction. Using X as top,, and made cuts about 1/2 way down. Used chisal to take out cut.
Made corrections, making sure verticle slats did not go too far in or out of line. Repeated on other side.
5) Ran the middle dowel to correct height differences in culms. I can adjust cement on cement blocks later.
6) Made any new corrections cause by dowel, Laid in slats to make sure they were in sync. Took them out and Ddilled holes in bottom of culms. Inserted four 1/4 inch diameter, 6 inch long screws into the holes and bolted them down. They will be inserted in the cement block foundation.
7) Inserted slats and Gorilla glued them in.
8) Started sandpapering culms and glue. Got to be ceative on how much to sandpaper. You want colors to blend.
9) Tomorrow - lay the bamboo into the foundation.
fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Filling cement blocks with cement. Used a brown die mix - a more natural color.Some space between clums so looking for a natural color. Need it very wet so tie downs can be set into the cement/mason mix.
Note tie down screws on bottom on platform. Nuts tight on bottom but not too tight. Some tie downs tilted - impacted my ability to manuever platform. Too late to correct.
Bamboo platform on top of mason mix. Note correction required - bottom build up of mason mix to make level correction. Side slats will hide the correction. Slanted tie downs have caused a slight positioning problem, I will have to correct with back slats. Going to have to make cuts on culms overlaping back edge. Too many variables to spend a lot of time measuring early in the project. Not a problem if you compensate on the high side for all cuts.
fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Cut off excess bamboo, filled some holes in the slat joints, then sanded all the bamboo with both medium and fine grain sandpaper. Cleaned, then coated with polytherene.
Completed stone work - covered portions of the cement block with Arizona Flagstone, the stone used in the stairs and landing floor. I had help with the stone work. The remaining cement block will be covered with bamboo slats.
Slats are defined as 1/2 culms. The photo shows the front and back of a slat. I'm splitting the culms with a sharp knife and a hammer (top to bottom split). The last slat caved in - it was a new clum that had not dried out.
Rgds
fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

90% complete
Green slats fade to golden yellow
Slats are easy to cut but mating slats so that there is no space between them is difficult. The issue is node bulge and acuracy of culm splt. A skilled woodworker would know the answer. I did a "c" job even after two redo's. Gorilla glue is doing the job but you have to follow directions exactly. Note above - green hues turn golden fast in the sun even after you coat them. I'm winging this as I go along - I had no plan. Looking forward tp wraping this up. RGds
David

Post by David »

I think you did way better than "C" work. I like the way it looks, and fits the setting well. No one will notice the small things that seem like glaring errors to you. Anyone can build with flat, square, and true lumber, but bamboo is none of those things. Good job and thanks for showing us your project.
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

David - Thanks - appreciate the support. I'd invest in a good vice and sharp plane if I did a similar project. Wear gloves when dealing with the glue. Down to 2% fine tweak. Some experiments heve not worked out but minor delays. The knowledge that what I create is unique is a creative experience that is very rewarding. Rgds
zxylene

Post by zxylene »

I think this was an interesting project, original and it looks great it gives me all sorts of Ideas. Thanks for posting
fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

z-great to hear that I got your creativity juices flowing. You made my day. Rgds