Banana

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

trepanier
Location info: 0

Banana

Post by trepanier »

i just got a Cavendish Banana Plant !!! im very happy about r new baby lol but dont have a clue how to grow them here can anyone help lol i'd love to see som pic too :wink:
Trepanier
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Banana

Post by foxd »

Cavendish Banana is not very cold hardy, so you might just leave it in a large pot that you can pull inside in the Winter.

I'm just starting out with bananas, but they are staying alive without much care. The main thing is they need lots of water and some fertilizer.

I don't have the Cavendish, just the zebrina and basjoo.

I will see if I can upload a picture of some of the bananas tonight.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

I have been sending bananas to my dad in Kentucky for years. He has propagated them and given them to others for years. It is amazing to see banana trees throughout the country side in Kentucky where he lives. So many people are sharing... it really is something to watch.

He plants them in the ground with lots of mulch when the last frost is over. Before the first frost, he digs them up with very little dirt and cuts most of the leaves back and wraps the corm in newspapers for the winter. He leaves most in his garage where they don't get much light. He does not water from that point until it is time to put them back in the ground. He has had banana plants up to 9 feet tall. He gets lots of pups each year.

I gave him some special clones about 13 years ago that produce lots of bananas without growing very tall. Typically, a banana plant needs 18 months of growth before it can produce bananas. This one produced in about 7 months. He continues to give them away even today. He has a collection of about 5 different kinds.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

There's a house near me that has pretty large (10'+ it seems) bananas in their backyard garden. I see them when I drive by. I've been thinking about going over and introducing myself and seeing if they're interested in a 'nanas for 'boo trade.
trepanier

Post by trepanier »

boo nut - your ad lives in ky... thats where i live lol so i should just do the same thing he is doing than and if i store them can they be in a cold place?
Trepanier
boonut
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

trepanier wrote:boo nut - your ad lives in ky... thats where i live lol so i should just do the same thing he is doing than and if i store them can they be in a cold place?
He definitely keeps some in the garage and some in his workshop. Maybe he keeps them warm on the really cold days with a kerosene heater. I know he starts his tomatoes and other veggies in his workshop in the winter... or he visits here in January to pick up tomato plants at Lowes or Home Depot.

He lives in Brandenburg, Ky.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

boonut

Post by boonut »

What is your location in Kentucky Trepanier?
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

trepanier

Post by trepanier »

i live in hodgenville ky about 30miles south of etown
Trepanier
foxd

Post by foxd »

I started out with one Musa zebrina and have been dividing off pups. My approach in the past has been just to keep them in pots, but a couple are getting too big for that and I have planted them outside to see how big they will get. I may try digging them up for the Winter, we'll see.
banana3.jpg
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
boonut

Post by boonut »

trepanier wrote:i live in hodgenville ky about 30miles south of etown
My dad lives in Brandenburg. You all are close. Send me a private message and I will give you his phone number.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

trepanier

Post by trepanier »

foxd- wow those look realy good and healthy mine have those red colers on the leaves too but not as strong
Trepanier
foxd

Post by foxd »

trepanier wrote:foxd- wow those look realy good and healthy mine have those red colers on the leaves too but not as strong
The picture is from last year. I gave one of them to someone when it got too big to put in the basement. The other sprouted a pup which I potted and grew over the Winter. I planted the pup in the side yard. The mother I planted in the backyard, after separating off another pup. That pup is now in a pot on the deck.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.