Japanese memories

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

Eastlandia
Location info: 0

Japanese memories

Post by Eastlandia »

I have only been around bamboo for a few years, but if I look back in my short past I can remember times when I encountered it.
One of my best memories is a Japanese Garden located in Carlton College near St. Olaf (Northfield) in MN. It had a hut made out of bamboo; and although none was growing, from then on I always held Japanese Gardens as some of my favorites.
Japanese Style is not hard to acheive (especially with bamboo) any pine looking bushes, japanese Maples, small Rhododendrons, ect. All make the Japanese Garden. But more than that are the stones. Vertical off-set stones, "water" stones, ect.
Anyway, Im in charge of a garden at my county library. It will be designed for small children and, of cource, there is going to be bamboo involved.
Im hoping that the design will create a magical setting for the children of today just as the garden in Carlton did for me.
If anyone has any Japanese gardens that they would like to share, maybe we can isolate those pictures here on this topic.
-Eastlandia
Last edited by Eastlandia on Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian T. Lawrence
Southern Indiana (2002-2011)
Fort Myers Florida (2012-2013)
Tanzania (2014)
iandad

RE: Japanese memories

Post by iandad »

If you truly want to create a "Japanesesque" syle garden I suggest you do some reading on the subject before jumping into it. This is after all a 2500 year old art form with a rich tradition and very well documented design principles.

The "look" and reslultant "feel" you want to achieve is the result of VERY careful planning and design. Otherwise, you may not end up with what you are intending to achieve and end up with a "cheesey" copy. Well worth the time to do some planning on this.

We have one member here who is actually writing a book related to this topic, she may chime in. Also, I suggest you spell out the whole word "Japanese" instead of abbreviating it.
Zone Challenged...
Eastlandia

Post by Eastlandia »

You are completely right iandad. As I dont know much about the art, however that wasnt the point of that post. Its more of my fasination that drives me to create one. And believe me, I will do my homework before making one. -Eastlandia
Brian T. Lawrence
Southern Indiana (2002-2011)
Fort Myers Florida (2012-2013)
Tanzania (2014)
iandad

Post by iandad »

EastIndia

Sounds like a cool project :!: The boo hut you referenced sounds like it was a Tea Garden (do a search on this, rife with symbolism and a formal ceremony) you were remembering. Think "Perfected Nature". Resist temptation to use variegated plants or flowers.

You were right about the stones, very important... Also, as much moss as you can integrate into the design will contribute to the tranquil atmosphere you are seeking. Use the boo as a backdrop and for construction materials for various TG objects.

Have fun :D
Zone Challenged...
kstanwick
Location: Stillwater NJ z6a Sussex county. 20 minutes from the Del. Water Gap.

Post by kstanwick »

I did a bit of reading about japanese gardens and yes i believe there is a whole design and concept to it but what i get out of it ...overall it is to be a spot of serenity...if thats the right word. I think everyone can achieve that with ones own choices of plants...but the true Japanese garden does have alot that goes into it.
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
CadyG
Zone 6b

Like Kyuzo (pictured above) in "The Seven Samurai," I've "...Killed (more than) two..." bamboos.

Post by CadyG »

Cady G.
"Killed two..." -- Seiji Miyaguchi/Kyuzo