Surinam Cherry Trees

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Surinam Cherry Trees

Post by foxd »

I would like to find good homes for a couple of my Surinam Cherry Trees. They are nice looking plants, easy to take care of, but they are sub-tropical and have to remain inside during the Winter here. They should start producing fruit any year now. I will hang onto a few of them, but I have seven or so of them, which takes up a fair amount of room under the growlights. Anyway, I would consider trading them for other interesting plants.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
bambootony

Re: Surinam Cherry Trees

Post by bambootony »

Hello Dan,
If you can find a trade near L.A. California OR anywhere along hwy 40 I could do the transportation for you.
I'm driving out to Ca. as soon as the weather allows.
I will return to Illinois around the first of March.
40 miles N.E of st louis
foxd

Post by foxd »

I'm down to a comfortable number of Surinam Cherry Trees now. The remaining three are growing quite happily in the basement for the Winter. So I decided to try an experiment.

I have cut a branch off of one, dipped it in rooting compound and am trying to get it to root.

So far it hasn't lost it's leaves yet. I am using a clear plastic cup for the pot so I can see if it has developed roots and another plastic cup covering it to keep the humidity up. And a heating pad to keep everything warm. (It worked with the Rosemary cuttings and I now have two small Rosemary plants.)

I know this is going to result in more Surinam Cherry Trees, but it gives me practice with rooting branches.

Perhaps I will try rooting a Phyllostachys branch. :)
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
foxd

Post by foxd »

Update: My rooting experiment didn't work.

I now have three plants that are in large pots and two small plants. One of the large ones is finally started to produce fruit. :)
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

Due to the weird weather plants in the basement for the Winter are not going dormant like normal. One of the Surinam Cherry Trees has decided to start blooming and producing fruit.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.