Purple Sugar Cane

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

mantis
Location info: 22

Purple Sugar Cane

Post by mantis »

Wow! A beautiful plant. I put a small 1 gal. cutting in the ground this spring, and here is what it looks like now. :shock:

Not sure how big these pictures are going to be, so sorry if they are HUGE.

marcat
Location info: 28

Re: Purple Sugar Cane

Post by marcat »

You going to start makeing your own Rum?
MarCat
mantis

Post by mantis »

No. I just figured that since I live in Sugar Land I should grow sugarcane. The city started as a company town for Imperial Sugar, so I'm just carrying on tradition. :)
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Please post a photo from further back in your yard so I can see the whole plant in its surroundings. Looks nice, and if it grows that much in one season, I may have to give it a try.

What species is it?
mantis

Post by mantis »

No can do... That is about as far back from it I can get. I was already crouched underneath a papaya, and the other angles are even worse (B. doli. 'Silverstripe' and gingers are in the way).

Not sure the exact species, but it appears to be a variety of Saccharum officinarum.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Are the leaves purple at all? The photo doesn't show clearly.
mantis

Post by mantis »

No purple on the leaves. Purple culms with green & white variegated leaves. Very striking combination. From what I've found it is hardy to zone 8.
Bamboo Outlaw
Location info: 0
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

I got my green surgar cane from Texarkana. This appears to be the same as hardy goes.
Last edited by Bamboo Outlaw on Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
Bamboo Outlaw
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

mantis, i sure hope you still have some after this.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
mantis

Post by mantis »

Checked on it yesterday, and some of it is still alive. I cut down all the dead stalks, and will cover what is left for the freeze that is coming this weekend.
Bamboo Outlaw

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Normally, early winter you should cut down your sugar cane and cut it up into small pieces, I prefer multible nodes, at least two and cut it in the center between the nodes. Plant these cuttings horizontally several inches deep. This way they will not be damaged in the winter and will regrow full size in one season. I didn't do it this year and between the drought and freeze lost a lot. This plant requires a lot of water.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

Can you imagine what type of climate they had when Surgar land was founded. Heck they use to grow Pineapple some where in this part of the state. Nothing is static in nature.
MarCat
Bamboo Outlaw

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Yeah, much more global warming and I will have to build an igloo. Yeah, right.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas