Black-Stemmed Taro

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Black-Stemmed Taro

Post by Alan_L »

Tony O
Location info: 0

Post by Tony O »

Wow! Looks like this thread's been going for many years now. That's some flower. Good picture. Got me interested in finding some. Does anyone have lots of extra Black-Stemmed Taro this year? I'd like to get some started my self.
Kyuzo

Post by Kyuzo »

As usual, I've got stolons running everywhere from my Taro. I could easily get you a start. You can PM me with any trade options you might have if you're interested.
Aquila non capit muscas!
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

Those stolons are annoying when you're growing in pots like I am. I've tried making them go around and around the pot but they don't seem to like that. I think I've had only 2 actually root or leaf out.

Still concerned over how I'm going to overwinter these.
Kyuzo

Post by Kyuzo »

Hey Alan,

Maybe it's water related? Mine grow beside a creek and the stolons go down into the creek and stretch out downstream laying in mud. They root right in and send up leaves and new plants start. If I have any stolons going out of bounds, they get mowed over or snapped off. It doesn't appear to affect the plant's vigor. I don't think it's a situation like bamboo where reducing rhizome mass affects the plants vigor. For me the main plant seems to grow fine weather the stolons are there or broken off. I'd say if you're sick of fighting them, get rid of them.
Aquila non capit muscas!
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

Alan_L wrote:Those stolons are annoying when you're growing in pots like I am. I've tried making them go around and around the pot but they don't seem to like that. I think I've had only 2 actually root or leaf out.

I have them in a very large pot, which I'm going to drag in during the Winter.

I am considering running the stolens up through the bottom holes on pots and filling them with potting mix. I can then cut them loose when they root.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

Alan_L wrote:Those stolons are annoying when you're growing in pots like I am. I've tried making them go around and around the pot but they don't seem to like that. I think I've had only 2 actually root or leaf out.

Our super freeze this last november killed mine off completely........me forgetting about them probably did NOT help, they went through the entire week of single digit temps unprotected, in pots outside........

If you have extras, I would like to get a slew of them from anyone with extras. I'm going to put some to put but my pond, and I would like some to try allowing free rein in our irrigation ditch...
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

I've got lots and lots of these this year, so am going to try overwintering different ways. Last year I had success with:

1) keeping small plants alive under lights, although they got leggy
2) keeping a plant alive in my 40F garage with minimal light

This past spring I bought in a plastic bag (from Home Depot or similar) what was supposed to be a 'Black Magic' bulb, but turned out to be the stem of one of these -- can't say it was really a bulb. It was fine and grew, so perhaps its possible to overwinter like a bulb -- I'm going to try it this year.

Also, I've broken off some of those stolons and potted them up and they grew.
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

Alan_L wrote:This past spring I bought in a plastic bag (from Home Depot or similar) what was supposed to be a 'Black Magic' bulb, but turned out to be the stem of one of these -- can't say it was really a bulb. It was fine and grew, so perhaps its possible to overwinter like a bulb -- I'm going to try it this year.
Was the plastic bag packed with anything?

I am going to try and let the ones in a pot to go dormant, it has gotten just too big to move off the deck. :shock:

Anyway, my plan was to let them go dormant, dig them out of the pot and store them in the basement for next year.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

Dan, yeah, that's the plan I'm going to use for many of them, so hope it works. "They" say it won't work because it doesn't form a bulb like regular C. esculenta does, but the one I got in the bag (with a little peat moss) was fine.