Plants this year.

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

EBinNC
Location info: 50

Re: Plants this year.

Post by EBinNC »

Iowa,
I really like my purple robed locust, but I will caution that they are highly invasive. I started with 1 tree and now have six and I mow over new trees constantly. I must have mown over at least a dozen this year already. Not even my P. Atrovaginata will send roots/rhizome as far as the locust will in 1 year! Strangely all the daughter plants have white flowers intead of purple.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Do you have Robinia ambigua ( 'Purple Robe' Locust ) or Robinia pseudoacacia ‘Purple Robe' (which is a cultivar of Black Locust)?

If the second, that could explain the white flowers (typical of Black Locust), especially if these are seedlings instead of suckers.

I once had 35 Black Locusts in my yard, but nothing else. Sure looks different now. :)
EBinNC
Location info: 50

Post by EBinNC »

I do not know, but that could explain it for sure...
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

Due to mis-identifying some unlabeled seeds, it looks like I will be growing heirloom watermelon this year. Lots and lots of heirloom watermelon. :shock:
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

Robinia pseudoacacia ‘Purple Robe' is usually grafted on common black locust. That will explain why the suckers have white flowers.