large-leaved bamboo companion plants

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

ghmerrill
Location info: 26

RE: large-leaved bamboo companion plants

Post by ghmerrill »

did a google on eating it, and came up with this, I thought it was interesting

"MyVitaminGuide.com has an interesting account of the benefits of eating butterbur. Apparently it is effective in relieving allergies, hay fever and migraine headaches. Prevention.com also has a page on this. There are a few recipes online such as this one from Yasuko-san's Home Cooking

From this website

http://iwatebuddy.blogspot.com/2006/05/ ... lants.html
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Re: RE: large-leaved bamboo companion plants

Post by rfgpitt »

shuboo wrote:What about hostas? Check out the 'blue angel' They don't grow very well down here in Florida but zone 8 or less usually supports healthy growth. The 'blue angel' gets big blue/green leaves.
Lots of us cold weather growers have a hard time growing hostas out in the open (VS against the house) because rabbits and deer love them. I was on a bit of a hosta kick before I found bamboo and had to give them up. I have less than 20 now and most made it in the bedding around the house, but there would be no way I could grow them where the bamboo is going....
Rick
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

ghmerrill wrote:"MyVitaminGuide.com has an interesting account of the benefits of eating butterbur. Apparently it is effective in relieving allergies, hay fever and migraine headaches. Prevention.com also has a page on this. There are a few recipes online such as this one from Yasuko-san's Home Cooking
MyVitaminGuide.com just looks like a page of ads to me, in 2 different browsers.

Anyway, some of these are referring to other species of Petasites, not specifically Petasites japonica, although they are referred to as "butterbur" too -- so be careful.

(It would be "funny" if Brad's deer *were* actually eating the Petasites japonica, but it was actually making them feel better. :wink: )
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

We did have a problem one year with deer eating the Hosta, but then we had Animal Liberation Front driving them out of an area where there was construction. As a result they were wandering all over the neighborhood.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Chris L
Location info: 83

Post by Chris L »

Paulownia tomentosa
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

I agree with Paulownia, that has huge leaves and don't have to wait years for that effect. I have Petasites japonica, but it has never done anything for me. Think I need to put it in a full sun situation, because the shaded moist spot didn't work.
Mike McG
Location info: 71

Post by Mike McG »

foxd wrote:We did have a problem one year with deer eating the Hosta...
I have tried Hosta here in TX without success. At first I thought the problem was the heat or our alkaline soil, but then I did keep a group of Hosta in a large pot for several years. Eventually I planted in an area where I try keep the soil on the acidic side because of the camellias, azalea and a couple of citrus. It also gets the rain from part of the roof. They disappeared over the next year and a half.

We have the same problem with regular chives, they grow in pots , but not in the ground. Garlic chives on the other hand do fine. I think it is probably some bug or pathogen in the soil.

Last year we tried some mixed caladiums (from Loews) and they did well in pots, in the shade of the bamboo, very showy. The bulbs are packed together in a pot in our unheated barn, covered with peat moss. I will try planting them out again after Easter, but they are sufficiently inexpensive to even use as annual bedding plants. http://www.caladiumbulbs.com/product/62/

Mike McG near Brenham TX
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

Iowaboo wrote:I have Petasites japonica, but it has never done anything for me. Think I need to put it in a full sun situation, because the shaded moist spot didn't work.
Brad, is yours doing better on the sunny side of the pond, or the shady side, or doesn't it seem to matter?

I was planning on a spot that would be shaded by bamboo during the peak of the day, but should get some morning and later afternoon sun.

Iowaboo, Paulownia is a good idea, but doesn't it get too tall? I remember reading about it a couple years ago, and even when cut to the ground each year (treated like a perennial) it still reached 12' each year. I've already got the castor bean plants for height (mine get to 10'-12'), so I was hoping for something that stayed around 4' or so.
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

I agree Paulownia will get tall even as a cutback, probably up to 15ft tall. I say toss the castorbeans out and replace it with Paulownia, so you don't have to replant every year. And on the positive, Paulownia isn't poisonous and doesn't attract an army of ants. I hate touching castorbeans, because some red ants declare war upon me.
foxd

Post by foxd »

I've had Petasites planted on the the North side of the Northwest corner of the house. I don't think they had a whole lot of sun there, but have continued to grow. I plan to move them to a sunnier location as a companion plant to some bamboo.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

Paulownia: I see that it may be susceptible to powdery mildew -- anybody have experience with this? We definitely have problems with powdery mildew here. I've just about had it with most Bee Balms (Monarda) here, as well as Verbena bonariensis. Both plants I love until they get all powdery, and I hate having to spray every week just to keep them partially clean.

Also, I like having to replant castor bean each year. I'm a little concerned about planting Paulownia and deciding I don't like it or want to move it, and then having a huge amount of work. Like with my bamboo I guess. Ok, so nevermind that point. I still like replanting the castor beans, plus I know I'll get 10' in 1 year. I don't know how long I'll have to wait until Paulownia matures enough to reach 10'+ in 1 year. Any ideas?
needmore
Location info: 0

Post by needmore »

Alan, my Petasites is in mostly full sun, probably getting a later start due to the wooded hills blocking the early AM sun but full on after that.

Lance, the castors have self-seeded here the past couple of years so that makes them even easier to grow. I really like them next to bamboo, the type I have has large deep burgundy leaves and stems, the get to about 7-8 feet. A neighbor has a very different form, smaller leaves with a very light pink overall color.

I'd get me one-o-dem Paulownia if I could figure out where I could squeeze one in - any sense of their attraction to deer?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

I agree with you on that, if you don't like castorbeans where they are, they die and can plant them elsewhere next time. The paulownia under excellent conditions could attain that height the first year planted. Just depends on alot of factors, such as heat and moisture and FULL sun. Also, I should mention that they are pioneer plants and they hate any amount of shade.

I recall planting mine in an opening I made in the woods. And I would only get a couple feet out of them. The deer never touched them while trees surrounding them were getting nibbled on continuously. But maybe they would gain a taste for them if they just would try their paulownia veggies!
gardenmonkey
Location info: 0

Post by gardenmonkey »

this year I am growing japanese araila, basjoo banana, and mexican palms. I think they will all go nicely with bamboo.
save the bamboo, eat a panda
foxd

Post by foxd »

How about Tamarillo plants as companion plants? Admittedly they are tropical, but the hardiness may be under-rated. Leaves are huge. The fruit is tasty as long as you avoid the outer skin. It is easily started from seed.

I was able to start three plants from a Tamarillo I bought at Jungle Jim's. All survived the Winter in the basement and look good.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.