large-leaved bamboo companion plants

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: large-leaved bamboo companion plants

Post by Alan_L »

Just an update on the large-leaved plants I tried this year.

I tried rhubarb and elephant ears (Colocasia) in addition to the castor beans that I always grow. The rhubarb was doing great until we had our upper 90's and it went dormant (or died). I'm hoping dormant.

The elephant ears are way more vigorous than I expected. The tiny 5-for-$5 bulbs I got (between golfball and racquetball sized) eventually produced some HUGE plants. There are at least 2 stalks coming out of each, and each stalk is much larger in diameter than the bulbs. I'm only growing them in pots right now, but will have to put a few in the ground soon I think. The leaves and stalks are much sturdier than I thought they'd be, and the lower leaves stick pretty far out to the side (blocking my walkway).

Interestingly, I have not located any of these plants near bamboo. Next year, now that I know what to expect. :)
gardenmonkey
Location info: 0

Post by gardenmonkey »

I am having really good luck with my japanese aralia. It grows fast and looks really cool.
save the bamboo, eat a panda
gardenmonkey
Location info: 0

Post by gardenmonkey »

A couple other I have tried are big leaf bamboo (indocalamus tessalatus) this one is doing well. I tried cold hearty "basjoo" banana last year and even though I isulated it, it turned into a big pile of rotton mush over the winter. Hostas do great here, I have 12 so far and they get bigger each year.
save the bamboo, eat a panda
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

Alan,
Where did I get your elephant ear bulbs from?
So far around here they are 7 to 10 each!
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

I just buy them at Wal-mart or Home Depot or anywhere that they're cheap. You don't need a huge one -- even the smallish ones (racquetball-size or so) produce a BIG plant by the end of the summer if they're treated well.

I'll never have to buy these again though.
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

Hmm...
I will have to check around some more..last year at wallys they were 9 each bulb, they were about tennis ball size
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

I think planting some gunnera manicatas(giant rhubarb) around a huge established bamboo would add an exclamation point, except the grove should be 40+ feet tall to work well since these plants are supposed to get enormous leaves reaching something like 8ft tall and 10ft diameter leaves. They are hardy to zone 7 and prefer boggy conditions, but regular soil works fine.

I've been growing one since summer of 2008 which has up-sized slowly each season, and now has leaves breaking the 2ft mark in diameter, likely to reach close to 3.5ft by fall. It finally flowered this year too 8)
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

Steve -- how did you overwinter it?
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

In the fall when leaves start to wilt, I just cut off all the leaves and place them upside-down over the corm and then get a partially filled leaf bag and place that over the whole thing which usually provides complete insulation.

I didn't do anything to over it in the winter of 2008/2009, but it still came back about the same size however I protected it this winter and it looks much bigger than ever before.
stonecrabber

Post by stonecrabber »

Here's a couple I didn't see mentioned.
I grew both of them in Michigan for years
they're both pretty good companions.

Crambe cordifolia

macleaya cordata-----this one will run around a little bit