Any one have Hardy Kiwi's ??

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

stover954rr
Location info: 0
NY

Any one have Hardy Kiwi's ??

Post by stover954rr »

Hey Gang,
I was just curious if anyone had/has hardy Kiwis, such as issai, or any others? They say their good down to -30f and I really want to give them a whirl up where I am. I have a barn that I would like to grow them up.

If anyone has any experience with them, please do share!

Thanks and happy holidays!
Russell
I might live in Zone 3/4, but my house is a solid Zone 7!
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

RE: Any one have Hardy Kiwi's ??

Post by rfgpitt »

I don't, but here's a past Hardy Kiwi thread.........
Rick
GrowingHabit

Post by GrowingHabit »

I haven't planted mine- I hurried to acquire some after seeing a mature specimen in Portland, Oregon, where it was growing in and out of a tall white wall surrounding the city's Chinese Garden. It makes a powerful impact, viewed like that.

I can say they're as hardy as I can test them to be in zone 8 with a 7 micro climate. I have left them in their pots, rootbound and now dirtless, for two years with no protection, sitting at the top of a bank beside a seasonal creek where the wind whistles all winter. They've shown no real dislike to the treatment.

Now I just have to build a tall white wall so I can plant the poor things.
stover954rr
NY

Post by stover954rr »

Perfect!

Thank you rick - I probably should use the search button before posting :oops:
~Russell
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

I just started out growing them, so no real world experience.......
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

I have had Artic Beauty for a few years now, and have not been able to entice it to grow much at all... the other crazy thing is that it always leafs out durring our premature warm up in the spring, and the late cold snap we usually get always kills off all the leaves. once the weather warms up it re-leafs, but it has not grown much in the 4 years its been in the ground.
It was purchased at a respecable nursery, but I guess there is always the possibility that it was mis marked. I bought a male and two female plants, the one I have now is female, it is the only one who lived of the three.
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

I have some I got from the USDA. I lost the two male plants and replaced one from what is supposed to be a male plant from Lowes. (How do you tell the sex of these things?) The females came through the winter in good health.

The neighbor had only the males survive. Perhaps I will talk to him about cloning and trading next Spring.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
stover954rr
NY

Re: RE: Any one have Hardy Kiwi's ??

Post by stover954rr »

ghmerrill wrote:I have had Artic Beauty for a few years now, and have not been able to entice it to grow much at all... the other crazy thing is that it always leafs out durring our premature warm up in the spring, and the late cold snap we usually get always kills off all the leaves. once the weather warms up it re-leafs, but it has not grown much in the 4 years its been in the ground.
It was purchased at a respecable nursery, but I guess there is always the possibility that it was mis marked. I bought a male and two female plants, the one I have now is female, it is the only one who lived of the three.
Gene,
I have heard this is a problem with a lot of the hardy kiwis... They are very sensitive to late frosts.
ocimum_nate
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

Post by ocimum_nate »

I have had about the same experience with them as well mine seem to be find but get really set back by late freezes
foxd

Re: Any one have Hardy Kiwi's ??

Post by foxd »

After a year and a half I am STILL trying to get a male hardy Kiwi! :evil:

At this point I am starting to seriously consider that there is some sort of vast secret world conspiracy to keep me from getting a male hardy kiwi plant. The lures of getting a male hardy kiwi are dangled before me only to be yanked away at the last moment. The female kiwis have started to produce flower buds this year and I won't get any kiwi fruit! :evil:
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

A friend just found me one at a plant sale.... she said its a huge 5 gal pot. Cost a whopping $6!

I will have her keep her eyes open for another one, in a bit more shippable size. If you find one before then, I can always find a place to put another!
bigone5500

Re: RE: Any one have Hardy Kiwi's ??

Post by bigone5500 »

foxd wrote:...(How do you tell the sex of these things?).
I found this online:
Male Kiwi:
Female Kiwi:

I have also read somewhere that if there aren't enough bees to pollenate (if that's what they need) then you can take a flower from the male plant and brush it on the female plant to cause them to pollenate and therefore bear fruit.
foxd

Post by foxd »

bigone5500, yes I finally searched and found similar pictures online yesterday. White thing in the middle of female flowers, got it. Thanks for the tip about fertilizing, now if I can find a male Kiwi in bloom somewhere, I can get fruit. :?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

The supposedly male Hardy Kiwi from Lowes bloomed this year producing two blooms. I didn't get a chance to check to see if they were male or not, but I do seem to have some Kiwi Fruit developing on the females. I did not have a lot of blooms this year, probably due to the drought last year.

And Gurney's sent me the Hardy Issai Kiwi I ordered over a year ago. Small but appears healthy.

Looking forward to harvesting some Kiwi fruit this year.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.