anyone know Ginkgo?

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

ClariBoo
Location info: 0

anyone know Ginkgo?

Post by ClariBoo »

does anyone have any experience with ginkgo tres? I had a small plant years ago when I was into bonsai, but it never did much.. I'm guessing it didn't like Texas limate. but, I've always liked it and back in July, before my s=hemhorragic stroke and subsequent hospitalisation for chemo and rehab, My partner and I were back in his hom town in the midwestwhere there were some beautifull mssive treed hwich resparkedmy desrie to have one in my back yard.

So is Houston too hot/wet?
Daniel(back after three months in one hospital or another
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

RE: anyone know Ginkgo?

Post by Thuja »

My uncle lives in the Dallas area and had difficulty growing some small Ginkgo trees I sent him. I think the hot, dry weather was a factor. I don't know. I don't recall seeing any great Ginkgo trees while visiting Texas. Maybe they need a longer, colder dormancy period?
--Mike
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

I planted a small ginkgo tree a few months ago. Last I looked it wasn't dead, but it probably doesn't have any leaves at the moment.

From what I've read Ginkgo is grown somewhere in Texas, since it is on a Texas-Best Plants List.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

ginkgos just grow extremely slow. The main point in planting one is to give something to the future generations.

Someone on plantfiles has this to say...
Gingkoes can generally be grown throughout the US, but here is some useful information for anyone wanting to plant one in a hot climate (such as Texas). A Gingko tree can scorch badly in full sun, especially if it is a young specimen. You are better off planting this tree in a spot with protection from the late afternoon sun. In fact, it makes a great understory tree and we have found that a Gingko will flourish in as little as four hours of daily sunlight. As the tree matures, its own leaves will protect its somewhat tender bark and allow it to grow well in a full sun location. It is also considered to be extremely slow growing. We have found that with 2-3 applications of moderate-rate nitrogen fertilizer per year, a Ginkgo can grow at a nice pace - comparable to a Redbud or Mexican Plum. Gingkoes are truly a unique tree and well worth the effort.
Thuja

Post by Thuja »

Good info there. I'd agree most ginkgo grow very slowly, but usually that's because they aren't in the optimum environment, needing viz., fertile soil and water. Also, the growth rate is a function of genetics. I've grown ginkgo from seed and observed great variation in grow rates. If I remember right, the fastest one I've grown from seed had about an 6" diameter trunk in 12 years.
--Mike
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

yep, they are like the moso of the tree world, need very precise conditions to excel.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

I have 3 growing next to the driveway, a bamboo visitor looked at them and said that I was lucky, I had 1 male and 2 females or vice versa - don't recall exactly. I asked how he could tell and he showed me how the bark was different on one of them. That one of the 3 is growing like wildfire and the other 2 are about the same, and much smaller so perhaps gender has something to do with growth rate?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Thuja

Post by Thuja »

I haven't heard or read that. I thought your only option was to perform genetic tests or wait 20 years or so to find out.

In any case, your odds are pretty good to have a male and female amongst your three... a 3/4 or 75% chance of a happy menage a trois.
--Mike
dependable

Post by dependable »

Thre is an old Ginko tree growing in the yard of a recently deceased news celebrity that summered in my town, I worked in the property years ago and recall hearing this female ginko was planted in the late 1800 s . The fruit smells like vomit , but other wise this is a magnificent tree. There were small seedlings around, I tried to save a few, all were killed by a colder than normal winter.(0 to 5 d f.) The big old tree still lives.