Knotweed control article

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Knotweed control article

Post by needmore »

Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
bepah
Location info: 36
Location: Brentwood CA The rumor is that we are 9b...I think 10a

RE: Knotweed control article

Post by bepah »

It worked just fine.

Are you having a Japanese Knotweed problem?

Too bad.....

I somehow imported Pink Knotweed (Persicaria capitata). Very pretty but some people have problems with it. For me, it looks nice between the stepping stones.
John Case
Rookie Gardener
Veteran Drinker
'Circular logic works because circular logic works!'
needmore

Post by needmore »

Personally, I have none, but see plenty in my area and a local watchdog group is running ads in the local paper trying to get folks to report it.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

I'm pretty sure the Pink Knotweed is a different species, but it is also regarded as invasive. It also seeds in warmer climates.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Here's an interesting article/booklet from the UK.
http://www.devon.gov.uk/knotweedbooklet.pdf
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

I have the cultivar crimson beauty, and seems to stay put. When it flowered late in the season, attracted many insects to it.
bepah
Location info: 36
Location: Brentwood CA The rumor is that we are 9b...I think 10a

Post by bepah »

Mine (the pink) volunteered itself about two years ago and now maybe takes up about 3 square feet of space. It is not particularly invasive , yet; I have noticed 4 new plants (very small) pop up within 2 feet of the original plant.

Due to the warning I read, I am keeping an eye on it, but it seems controllable to me, so far. I looks a lot better than some of the weeds that I get.

I wil keep you all posted.
John Case
Rookie Gardener
Veteran Drinker
'Circular logic works because circular logic works!'
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

I have japanese knotweed in my backyard which seems to be controlled easily by mowing around it, but the tallest culms reach about 6feet tall probably from lack of fertilizer. I might start taking care of it next year by adding some manure and mulch.

I'm interested in getting the giant knotweed because I've read it gets taller with much bigger leaves.
foxd

Post by foxd »

It has spread over a vacant lot next door and I see patches of it throughout the neighborhood. It just suddenly took over.

Last year I spotted an area over run with it that had a single vine fighting a losing battle in its center. I suspect the vine was Kudzu. :shock:

I have read that surprisingly small pieces of it can root and grow, so mowing it does not sound like a good control method. :shock:
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

Knotweed must not like my area because I've tried to propogate it into pots by rhizome division and I end up with nothing coming up. I'll try potting up a whole root ball next spring to see if I have any success.

It used to get up around 8feet 10 years ago, but Its progressively gotten smaller.My knotweed has probably used up all the energy in its current location so I'll try transplanting it to a different part of the yard.
dependable

Post by dependable »

Don't propegate knotweed. It is common around here in waste and industrial areas. Winds up in loam spread on roadsides. Pulled a root out of my commercial compost pile during a drought in August a couple of years ago. I noticed it when it started sprouting in the middle of a gravel driveway when it rained a month later. Even root fragments will start a new stand. The only way to eradicate is it mow continuously and spray with roundup or stronger, and the spray will only work if it is blooming(late summer here). Often takes two or more applications. This is one main non bamboo plant that gives our bamboo plants a bad rep with the public. Looks like crap in the winter to.
foxd

Post by foxd »

When I do Google News searches on "bamboo" and "invasive" almost invariably I find Japanese Knotweed is what the article is refering to. Though I did find one article where someone was given a Lucky Bamboo plant and was writing about its invasiveness. :?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

technomage

Re: Knotweed control article

Post by technomage »

I have learned recently that the weed that hides the ugly ditch on my property is this horrible invasive "Japanese Knotweed". I received a letter from a watch-dog group wanting permission to irraticate from my place. At that time I had no idea what they were on about! The knotweed has stayed put and done it's job of hiding the ugly ditch for nearly 20 years. I suspect that Elmer mail ordered the plant in the 1950's. The bottom line is that I do not have a problem with this weed. Leave it alone. Could it be that it grows where there is waste run off from higher ground off my property and this watch dog group is trying to hide the evidence!!
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

If it produces viable seed (like most "invasives" do), then their main concern is probably reducing as many sources of seed as possible.
foxd

Post by foxd »

Alan_L wrote:If it produces viable seed (like most "invasives" do), then their main concern is probably reducing as many sources of seed as possible.
It is probably all one sex which would help control the spread. Also if it is not being cut then there would be limited number of pieces of it to root elsewhere.

We have a lot full of Knotweed next door that gets mowed regularly. As a result it spreads aggressively. :shock:

I would suggest letting them kill it and plant some Rivercane in the ditch.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.