Musa basjoo

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

canadianplant
Location info: 0

Re: Musa basjoo

Post by canadianplant »

benboo wrote:Are there any other Bananas worth pushing to climate zone 6?
You can try to get Musa Itinerans. The hardiness info on this type is sketchy, but its worth a try. The seeds germinate really, easily.

Musa "Helens Hybrid" is said to be hardy to zone 7, and is edible.

Musa Sikkimensis (sp) has been split from the "darjeerling giant" name as far as I can find, so maybe getting one of each. Sikkimesis is the best documented other "hardy" banana ive seen.

Musa yunnanensis is said to be as hardy as M siikkimensis, but again, information is sketchy.

These are all ive been able to find, as far as "hardy" banana species (aside from the aformentioned Musella). You might have a chance with some of then in zone 6 in a southern wall under deep multch...
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

Musa basjoo seems to be protected well as long as there's enough of the corm section under ground so I usually try to get them planted 1-2ft deep, or however deep I can dig before hitting lots of rocks.

I'm trying musa mekong giant, musa sikkimus darjeeling giant, and ensete glaucum in the ground this year planted very deeply with leaf bags on top for protection so I have no idea if they will survive, but if they are anywhere near the hardiness of basjoo, they should start sprouting in April once I remove the leaf bags.

My basjoos are very well protected and I could provide temperature protection with christmas lights, but I don't feel it's necessary as I'm expecting these psuedostems to survive. All the new bananas only get a leaf bag because they are almost entirely underground anyways.
benboo
Location info: 0

Post by benboo »

What I dont get about banana hardinesses is that some are listed as zones survivable with extreme protection, while others are more like the natural habitat zones... quite sketchy
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

My Musa basjoo that I planted last year survived the Winter with no protection. I also have one in a pot in the basement. Is it too early to drag it outside?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.