i love my pond

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

dudley
Location info: 44
zone 9a/b
right between too cold & not cold enough

i love my pond

Post by dudley »

"Plants are people just like us"
bepah
Location info: 36
Location: Brentwood CA The rumor is that we are 9b...I think 10a

RE: i love my pond

Post by bepah »

Very nice,....

Let me share a little of my pond area

My Koi pond - waterfall has pot holders that contain a 5 gallon pot of any plant that can take the water. This year on the left, a Canna 'Tropicanna', on the right a Cyperus textilis - South African Mat Sedge. Used in South Africa to weave sleeping mats.

A photo of some of the Koi....

Another photo of the Koi

And now a pond for the people....

Top center, a stand of Musa sp. "Java Blue" - Ice cream bananas

Finally, looking north on the west side of the yard, Sasa palmata, B. textilis gracilis, and B vulgaris "Wamin"

As you can see, there is a lot of room to add to my personal jungle....and that is just the West side of the yard...
John Case
Rookie Gardener
Veteran Drinker
'Circular logic works because circular logic works!'
dudley
zone 9a/b

Post by dudley »

beautiful! I really enjoy sitting and watching the pond life!
nice people pond too!

fuzzy picture but shows the textilis in the back!
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

Fantastic pics guys... WOW. My pond looks like.... well, like I did it myself. I rented a backhoe and had fun... now I have a huge hole on my farm. It is actually holding water now. Nothing fancy... just a hole in the ground. If it continues to hold water, I plan on putting Koi in it. I did plant a number of different plants around it including about 6 Mexican Oleander trees... just to shade parts of the pond.

I won't bother you with pics... just picture a hole in the ground. Anyway... you both give me something to dream about.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
bepah

Re: RE: i love my pond

Post by bepah »

dudley wrote:beautiful! I really enjoy sitting and watching the pond life!
nice people pond too!

fuzzy picture but shows the textilis in the back!
Thanks, Dudley.

I like to look at all ponds and their environs. One of the aims of my design is to help in creating a more tropical microclimate on the hill above the ponds. Hopefully, once a canopy is created on the hill, the humidity should partially go up, the high and low temps moderate, and a Zone 10 will exist on the hill, allowing me to plant some more tropical plants than I can today.

We shall see. (BTW, I love discussing this garbage...it brings me a lot of fun).
John Case
Rookie Gardener
Veteran Drinker
bepah

Post by bepah »

boonut wrote:Fantastic pics guys... WOW. My pond looks like.... well, like I did it myself. I rented a backhoe and had fun... now I have a huge hole on my farm. It is actually holding water now. Nothing fancy... just a hole in the ground. If it continues to hold water, I plan on putting Koi in it. I did plant a number of different plants around it including about 6 Mexican Oleander trees... just to shade parts of the pond.

I won't bother you with pics... just picture a hole in the ground. Anyway... you both give me something to dream about.
Allen,

I am the former president of the San Francisco Bay Area Koi Club.
Ther are a ton of resources regarding the keeping of Koi on the web, some good, some not so good.
I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have when you are ready to go forward.

My first bit of advice to someone who wants to build a pong for Koi......don't. :lol:
John Case
Rookie Gardener
Veteran Drinker
dudley
zone 9a/b

Post by dudley »

my pond is just a hole i dug by hand a covered with vinyl liner. never could establish koi but the goldfish my kids won at the fair do well. added
some minnows to eat mosquito larvae and then the frogs moved in on their own. gave up the filtration long ago. water quality still good ,no maintenance.
just freshen it by letting the hose run in it occasionally.
a simple thing that brings me joy!
bepah

Post by bepah »

Dudley,

Koi are so big and so messy, filtration has to be part of the design. You approach works well for what you intend to do.

One real nice part of my design is that when I backwash the pond, the waste water goes into the garden.....tremendous plant growth with all of the fish waste......and it does not smell either!
John Case
Rookie Gardener
Veteran Drinker
Thuja
Location info: 0
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

Great pix! Ya, I'm right with you on pond enjoyment. There's something about ponds that is very relaxing and wonderful.

I have a few koi that are lots of fun. They seem to be full of "personality."
The plants and foliage really get going by this time of year only to get wiped out in October.
--Mike
millerlightman02
Location info: 46

Post by millerlightman02 »

hey mike what do you do with your koi in the winter? how deep is ur pond?
its rather cool
Michael Geis
wiener dogs and bamboo
what else is there?
dudley
zone 9a/b

Post by dudley »

Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

millerlightman02 wrote:hey mike what do you do with your koi in the winter? how deep is ur pond?
its rather cool
The pond is only 18" deep but I kept an aerator running all winter. I think this kept enough oxygen and liquid water for the koi. We also had a ton of snow all winter which kept the pond well insulated from the extreme cold.
--Mike
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

Before I got into bamboo, I was into aquariums. I had a 125 gallon salt water tank and a 48 gallon salt water tank in my living room. I also had 4 other tanks throughout the house. When I sold my house, I left all the aquariums.

Still like fish, just not in the house. I hope to put in a larger pond... around an acre or so in the next few years.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
webgator

Post by webgator »

Very nice pond Dudley! What is the statue in the middle? It almost looks like an alien!

I'd still love to put a pond in my yard, just not sure where to put it. The main pool takes up most of the back yard, with my bamboo screen taking up about 6 of the remaining 10 feet to the fence. Maybe a small one in the corner, but then I'd not have room for more boo there! ;)
Someday maybe I'll find a bamboo my wife likes...in the meantime I'll keep planting more!

My Bamboo Pics
Bamboo Propagation Info