Unknown Fruit and Tree

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Unknown Fruit and Tree

Post by foxd »

First off I am trying to identify some seedlings that showed up with another plant we bought. Any ideas?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3210/276 ... f1.jpg?v=0

I'm also trying to identify some sort of fruit I found in the woods yesterday. It looks like a green ball about 2-3 inches in diameter which breaks apart into quarters with the seed(?) in the middle. I suspect it grows with two fruit joined together because there was a quarter of another fruit attached to it. It was the only one I found in the area. I have this vague feeling I've seen it before when browsing one of the websites selling seeds. Would like to ID it too!
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
ocimum_nate
Location info: 0
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

RE: Unknown Fruit and Tree

Post by ocimum_nate »

It looks like a zelkova seedling to me although it could also be an elm seedling too but I am leaning toward a zelkova.
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Looks very similar to our chestnut, but also looks a lot like an elm.

Two green fruit pods come to mind. The passion flower vine, and the buckeye tree. Do you have a picture? The passion flower fruit is edible (the grape like part) and was used in the south as a lemonaide substitute. Buckeyes will have 2,3,4 usually blackish seeds that somewhat resemble a deers eye. They are not edible BTW. We carried them as good luck charms.
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
foxd

Post by foxd »

I too keep thinking it is some type of Elm. I planted them along the edge of the property to size up while I try and make an ID.

I have identified the fruit as coming from a Hickory Tree. Apparently one, two or three fruit can grow from a common point.

Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

what species of hickory is it? So far there is shagbark, shellbark, mockernut, and pecan planted here on the farm. bitternut is native here and has yellow buds that really sets it apart from others. Native shagbarks are couple miles away. If I had time, I would collect some before the squirrels get them all, and plant more around here. They really have attractive look to them.
foxd

Post by foxd »

I have no idea what type of Hickory. I did plant the seed in a container to see if it grows.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.