Paulownia kawakamii aka Empress Tree, Dragon Tree?

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

svendrix
Location info: 25

USDA Zone 6B (possibly 7A/7B/8A depending on who you ask around here, so I am sticking with the most conservative estimate for now)

Elevation 700 feet
Constant winds (10-20 MPH)

RE: Paulownia kawakamii aka Empress Tree, Dragon Tree?

Post by svendrix »

Lance, please do post back here with a pic later this year if you can... =D

---Sven
mr.mike
Location info: 0

Post by mr.mike »

Boonut wrote;

The picture of the tree with thorns reminds me of a tree grown down here [/b]called "Chorisia Speciosa".

Allen, I have that tree growing in my yard. It's about 4 yrs old now and every year there are more and more thorns on the trunk but it does have beautiful flowers though.

Mike
wildwoods

Post by wildwoods »

Their growth rate varies depending on soil type, water, fertilizer & sunlight, but when everything suits their needs they really do grow fast. 30+ feet in 3-4 years.
Most of the ones sold online are started from tissue cultures. This allows them to grow faster, be more disease resistant, and bloom in as little as 3 years. Paulownias started from seed usually take closer to 7 years to bloom and can be more prone to disease.

More about Royal Empress Trees
http://www.primevalgardens.com
JakeK

Post by JakeK »

Personally, I like the Empress Tree, but it's invasive here in Cincinnati much like Tree of Heaven and Albizzia julibrissin.
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

My Paulownia elongata leaf so far this year
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

just having some fun
svendrix
Location info: 25

USDA Zone 6B (possibly 7A/7B/8A depending on who you ask around here, so I am sticking with the most conservative estimate for now)

Elevation 700 feet
Constant winds (10-20 MPH)

Post by svendrix »

Wow, talk about a compost pile feeder with leaves that big! What is the fun pic, two brontasaurii dancing the waltz?

---Sven
Iowaboo

Re: RE: Paulownia kawakamii aka Empress Tree, Dragon Tree?

Post by Iowaboo »

svendrix wrote: two brontasaurii dancing the waltz?

---Sven
:lol: nice description. I cut one of my paulownia elongata into half, so I created two trees that way. I remember buying 10 paulownia elongata back in 2005 I think. For two years they did nothing, was in too much shade, and was down to 6 trees left. So since I've moved them in sunnier location, they are looking more impressive. I also did some root propagation, and looks like that worked also.
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

Here is a pic of Paulownia elongata, using niece and I as size reference. Think it got to 10ft or so. I probably won't be using castor beans much anymore because this one does so great as a perennial. It has a great jumpstart in the spring over castbeans starting from seed. Ginkgo planted in 1998 is on the left handside of the pic getting dwarfed by one season's growth of this incredible plant.

Paulownia tomentosa planted in goat pasture this spring. Think it got over 8ft tall. It had tip dieback from last winter and was letting that section grow for awhile, but finally cut it off, because the bottom sprout was shooting up fast.

All my paulownias are on top of a hill, so the wind helps keep them from growing too fast.