Datura metel "Double Purple Queen"

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

dependable
Location info: 0

RE: Datura metel "Double Purple Queen"

Post by dependable »

Those Daturas are Loco weed. And they are pretty. But no joke they all have alkaloids to one degree or anther that can be harmfull to nervous system .
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: RE: Datura metel "Double Purple Queen"

Post by foxd »

dependable wrote:Those Daturas are Loco weed. And they are pretty. But no joke they all have alkaloids to one degree or anther that can be harmfull to nervous system .
Lilly of the Valley is also very posionous as are a lot of the plants we grow.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
dependable

Post by dependable »

True, True, But I'ye never seen anyone try to change their consciousness with lily of the valley and seriously mess themselves up. I guess this is just a warning because many people know this has been has been used as a drug, and unlike some other plants, this one can cause long term harm.
foxd

Post by foxd »

dependable wrote:True, True, But I'ye never seen anyone try to change their consciousness with lily of the valley and seriously mess themselves up. I guess this is just a warning because many people know this has been has been used as a drug, and unlike some other plants, this one can cause long term harm.
I know better than to eat the plant and seeds. In fact I know better than to trust websites that list a plant as "edible". (At one time there were a number of websites that listed Euphorbia lathyrus as good on salads.)
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

I heard unripe mulberry fruit has hallucinogenic effects. So in reality, anyone that wants to be stupid can be with many different things. But word on the street is you better hide your computer duster.
foxd

Post by foxd »

Iowaboo wrote:I heard unripe mulberry fruit has hallucinogenic effects. So in reality, anyone that wants to be stupid can be with many different things. But word on the street is you better hide your computer duster.
I've read similar things about unripe passion fruit.

Hmmm....I wonder how many people raise banana plants for the bananadine? :)
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

dependable

Post by dependable »

foxd wrote:
dependable wrote:True, True, But I'ye never seen anyone try to change their consciousness with lily of the valley and seriously mess themselves up. I guess this is just a warning because many people know this has been has been used as a drug, and unlike some other plants, this one can cause long term harm.
I know better than to eat the plant and seeds. In fact I know better than to trust websites that list a plant as "edible". (At one time there were a number of websites that listed Euphorbia lathyrus as good on salads.)
"They didn't have websites in those days"
"but sons of bitches,..yeh"
Jeff: Igor's Apprentice

Re: Datura metel "Double Purple Queen"

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

I picked up a double yellow one yesterday.

Anybody overwintering these outdoors?
foxd

Post by foxd »

Jeff: Igor's Apprentice wrote:I picked up a double yellow one yesterday.

Anybody overwintering these outdoors?
Here they die in the Winter. I did have a couple of Double Yellow ones last year and have lots of seeds from them if anyone wants to germinate them.

I really liked the Double Purple but the seed pods never fully ripened, probably because it was in a shady spot. I did have a second seed germinate late last year and I saved the plant inside during the Winter. It is now in a sunny location.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Jeff: Igor's Apprentice

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

Thanks for the info.
My last neighbor had a bunch of the wild white ones in her horse pasture.
So, I figure I might try it if I can store up some seed.
needmore

Post by needmore »

Saw a website yesterday that said they have triple yellow ones and double yellow ones.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

around here in the garden centers you never see the colors, just the plain pinkish white ones, and they usually run about $50 for a 3' tall plant in flower!
foxd

Post by foxd »

ghmerrill wrote:around here in the garden centers you never see the colors, just the plain pinkish white ones, and they usually run about $50 for a 3' tall plant in flower!
Whoa!

I have LOTS of seed for the single white bloom and plenty of seed for the Double Yellow if anyone is interested. Seed seems to germinate whenever it wants to.

I have a single bloom white Datura sitting in a pot on the deck. It is getting ready to bloom. I noticed a few days ago that a second plant had germinated in the pot.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Do you overwinter these dormant (dark, cool location), or growing (sunny, warm location)?

I'm thinking that starting now from seed would be too late to get a bloom this year (for me).
foxd

Post by foxd »

Alan_L wrote:Do you overwinter these dormant (dark, cool location), or growing (sunny, warm location)?
I have plant lights I keep them under in the basement. It does get fairly cold in the basement (50°F) so growth slows way back.
I'm thinking that starting now from seed would be too late to get a bloom this year (for me).
Hard telling, it will depend on when the seed decides to germinate.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.