Datura metel "Double Purple Queen"

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Datura metel "Double Purple Queen"

Post by foxd »

Seedling number three has sprouted! It only took close to three months for them to germinate, which was also the case with the Datura inoxia.

It had been almost two months since the "Flying Dragon" had sprouted and now two seedlings in two days. I hope this is the start of a trend. :)

And I have an offer of free greenhouse space if some of the plants get big fast.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
foxd

RE: Datura metel "Double Purple Queen"

Post by foxd »

What was sold to me as Datura metel "Double Golden Queen" seeds turns out to be a double white flower variety. :evil:

There is a second plant of the same variety which hasn't bloomed yet, but it looks similar enough to the first that I am expecting white blooms from it too.

The Purple Queen still hasn't flowered yet, but is obviously going to be purple. There is a lot of purple in the stems and leaves.

Just for the record, it has been 4 1/2 months since the three Datura seeds had germinated. These are the plants, ranging from 3 to 5+ feet tall.

Meanwhile, another DPQ Datura seed has germinated. (Okay, I am slow to give up on seeds.)
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

so did you take pics of them?
foxd

Re: RE: Datura metel "Double Purple Queen"

Post by foxd »

Iowaboo wrote:so did you take pics of them?
I tried with limited success. My cheap digital camera has no way to turn the flash off. Perhaps I will be inspired to install a switch to do so.

This was the best I was able to manage for the so-called Yellow ones:

It doesn't do it justice. I also have a suspicion that the yellow coloring requires higher temperatures in order to occur. We had a relatively cool summer.

If all goes well I should have seed from them shortly. You are welcome to some if you want it.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

The Banana Tree has a picture of the Double Datura Purple Queen (or whatever combination of these words) on their website.

http://www.banana-tree.com/Product_Deta ... ~19110.cfm
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

New camera and now decent pictures:

Also I finally got some yellow in the Datura blooms!

A somwhat open purple bloom.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Holy smokes! You guys are growing 'loco weed' or at least it looks a lot like Jimson weed. Saw a case of loco weed poisoning several years ago. The young fellow had eaten some of the seeds, and hallucinated(must have been nightmares from the way he looked) for days. Not a pretty sight! I've got some purple and white ones growing down by the barn- come get all you want.
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
foxd

Post by foxd »

David, it's a related species. The fruit is not quite as spiny
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

David
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

OK. That's a relief. :lol: Do you think it might have some alkaloid/ atropine/belladona type compounds since it is so similar?
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
foxd

Post by foxd »

David wrote:OK. That's a relief. :lol: Do you think it might have some alkaloid/ atropine/belladona type compounds since it is so similar?
Definitely, though I have no intention of testing it. I've heard of many people not surviving the experience.

I was surprised to read that some Passion fruit is hallucinogenic. Though other sources say it is good for eating. These two sources may not be conflicting. (May be fine for eating to cause hallucinations.)

Then there was the Gopherbane, which some sources listed as highly poisonous and other sources listed as good on salads. Then I found the newspaper article puzzling over the number of deaths and hospitalizations because people would put it on salads. :? :shock:

On a side note, it's amazing what you can grow from the grocery. I bought a Tamarillo and now have several Tamarillo plants from seed. I wonder how viable the herb seeds are? Cumin? Poppy seed? Fenugreek?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

David

Post by David »

I would think that the whole seed of flax, fennel, dill, etc, would be fertile since they are unprocessed. Avacado, carrots, pineapple, potatoes all make interesting house plants. You may be on to something :!: 8)
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
foxd

Post by foxd »

I've read of people rooting and growing ginger. Some of the more exotic fresh fruits have provided viable seed for people, such as star fruit and durian. Even some of the dried fruits have produced viable seed, such as Gojiberry. A lot of the fresh herbs still have roots too.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

David

Post by David »

I can see it now- New best seller! Grocery Store Gardens by foxd. :idea: 8)
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
foxd

Post by foxd »

David wrote:I can see it now- New best seller! Grocery Store Gardens by foxd. :idea: 8)
And then there are the seeds in bird seed. Most of the seeds are sterile, but a few will still grow, like sunflower, thistle, hemp, etc.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

dudley
Location info: 44
zone 9a/b
right between too cold & not cold enough

Post by dudley »

grew ginger from store bought. tastes like dirt. anyone know why?
guavas from store bought. dozens of them. also dragon fruit, hundreds of them. just planted a slice of fruit.
"Plants are people just like us"