Poncirus trifoliata "Flying Dragon"

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

ocimum_nate
Location info: 0
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

Re: Poncirus trifoliata "Flying Dragon"

Post by ocimum_nate »

I took some cuttings off of my Trifoliate orange as an insurance policy this winter will be the first winter outside anyhow if it survives I will have 4 cuttings ready for trade this spring.
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

ocimum_nate wrote:I took some cuttings off of my Trifoliate orange as an insurance policy this winter will be the first winter outside anyhow if it survives I will have 4 cuttings ready for trade this spring.
I'm curious how you go about rooting them? I've tried in the past and not had any luck with rooting them. Now Tomatoes and Madder are another matter...
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
ocimum_nate
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

Post by ocimum_nate »

bottom heat in vermiculite humidity dome with .5% dip n grow concentrate.
foxd

Post by foxd »

ocimum_nate wrote:bottom heat in vermiculite humidity dome with .5% dip n grow concentrate.
Hmmm...I think I can set this up quickly.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
ocimum_nate

Post by ocimum_nate »

pictures of my cuttings
foxd

Post by foxd »

A bit of an update, one seedling died, but it wasn't a Flying Dragon. The two others were planted outside, one put on a growth spurt and is four foot tall. The other has stayed small. They are both Flying Dragons. That updates the original seedlings.

-----

I was given a couple of fruit from a Flying Dragon a couple of months ago. The fruit is sour, but seems no worse than eating a lemon. I kept the seeds moist and planted them in a germination tray with bottom heat. 27 seeds have germinated so far. Seedlings have been transplanted to plastic cups as they germinated and growth has been very good. No idea yet how many will be Flying Dragons.

One of the seedlings is growing oddly, not sure if it will make it yet. Thinking about the genetics of the Flying Dragon, if it is one gene that causes a Flying Dragon and two copies of it is lethal, then I could expect 25% standard Hardy Orange, 50% Flying Dragon and 25% dead seeds. Or of the seeds germinating two third should be Flying Dragons.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

The situation with the genetics of Hardy Orange seedlings is more complicated than I thought. Turns out the seeds are polyembryonic. If the pollen from the father plant is not viable the seed will still produce a clone of the mother plant. Certainly explains the number of seeds that have produced two shoots. :shock:

Now I wonder if it is possible to separate the plants without killing them. :?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

ocimum_nate

Post by ocimum_nate »

According to my friend who I got my trifoliate orange from the genetics usually favors the maternal clone.
foxd

Post by foxd »

ocimum_nate wrote:According to my friend who I got my trifoliate orange from the genetics usually favors the maternal clone.
True, the clone of the mother is probably the most healthy of the embryos and the one most likely to survive.

So far there are at least five that have two shoots. At this point I am pretty sure these originate from separate embryos. I may try separating some of them when they are larger.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

So far 27 of the trifoliate seeds have sprouted normally and 6 of those have produced double seedlings. The 28th seedling is still growing despite looking rather funky with serrated leaves. That one has me puzzled since it can't be anything other than a trifoliate orange. :?

I also had another type of seedling germinate. I gathered the seeds personally a few months ago, stratified them for several months and planted them in medium a few weeks ago. One has germinated and I now have either a tiny Caucasian Wingnut or a cross with a Caucasian Wingnut. :)

Hopefully more will sprout...
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

So far, out of two different types of seed I seem to have gotten at least four different types of plants. :banghead:

27 Hardy Orange
1 Caucasian Wingnut or Caucasian Wingnut cross
1 Something with serated leaves
1 Something with very tiny leaves
1 Not sure yet, still emerging, could be one of the above

Only thing I can figure is that there was a seed or two of something else when I poured the collected seeds into temporary storage containers. :oops:

I still have the Passiflora suberosa and two mystery plants from the "Passiflora lutea" and "Caucasian Wingnut" seeds I bought off Ebay. That it was Ebay kind of explains why they weren't what I ordered. :banghead:

I'm hoping the mystery plants will turn out to be something interesting that will survive our climate.
:)
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

Revised list:
27 Hardy Orange
1 Something with serated leaves
1 Hardy Orange with really tiny leaves
1 Not sure yet, but it is looking like a Hardy Orange
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

Another Revised list:
27 Hardy Orange
1 Something with serated leaves that is looking more and more like a Hardy Orange
1 Hardy Orange with really tiny leaves
1 Still not sure yet, but it is looking like a Hardy Orange

Of the 27 Hardy Orange, 6 have a second plant attached varying in size from normal to tiny, wispy looking. I still don't know if I'll be able to separate the secondary plants.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.