Toona sinensis -chinese mahogany

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Toona sinensis -chinese mahogany

Post by foxd »

I found a source of Caucasian Wingnuts, but they only sell wholesale. I just talked with a local nursery about special ordering one. They are supposed to get back to me. :?

I didn't try stratifying the seeds based on one source that said nothing about doing this to germinate them. As a side note, most of the Paw Paw Trees I've planted were grown from seed that had not been stratified. For that species 25% of the seeds will germinate without stratification.

I've moved the seed containers out onto the deck. Perhaps the change in conditions will make them germinate.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
foxd

Post by foxd »

Several more of the seeds have germinated. no IDs on them yet.

Some of the vines are developed enough that I now doubt that they are even a species of Passiflora. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
At this point I'm suspecting they are some sort of Clematis. :shock: :evil:

However. a few of them are definitely Passiflora of some type and could turn out to be P. lutea. :?

And I would swear the ones germinating now look different than the other two. :banghead:
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

you must get your seeds from tyty seed department
foxd

Post by foxd »

Iowaboo wrote:you must get your seeds from tyty seed department
They must be selling under a new name on Ebay. :) :( :) :( :) :(
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

The Mystery Vines are now sized up enough that the leaf shape is consistent. No clue as to what it is though. :?

I also have a couple of what are obviously Passiflora vines of some sort. And a couple of seedlings that are obviously not Passiflora and not the Mystery Vine. Perhaps these are the true Caucasian Wingnuts.

Meanwhile, amongst the Tomato Plants, a vine with mimosa-like foliage has sprouted. I suspect it was something I tried to germinate years ago and gave up on.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

The vining wingnut tree. new cultivar you and only you have
foxd

Post by foxd »

Iowaboo wrote:The vining wingnut tree. new cultivar you and only you have
I kind of like the sound of that. :)

Maybe someone can identify it if it blooms. Maybe it is some Passiflora of some sort that just happens to go through a phase of having leaves that don't resemble Passiflora. :?

I am starting to have hope that a couple of seedlings are indeed Caucasian Wingnuts. If they turn out to be yet another variety of Passiflora I'll...I'll...I'll have yet another type Passiflora. :?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

Update: The Mystery vine suddenly started putting out Passiflora shaped leaves and took on the characteristics of Passiflora suberosa. I also seem to have a wide and wonderous assortment of other types of Passiflora in various stages of development. It is possible there is a P. lutea among them.

Meanwhile, in the container I originally thought I'd planted the Caucasian Wingnut seeds in, some seedlings have sprouted. :?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.