Salicaceae family

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

Iowaboo
Location info: 32

RE: Salicaceae family

Post by Iowaboo »

If my bamboo never amounts to much, always good to have a plan B
My white poplar running like wildfire
needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Although they are not 'runner's Bald Cypress make fine groves. Yeah, they are deciduous but have winter interest. I think you are in the zonal range, mine came from the state of Indiana as sticks in 2001 as I recall $25 for 100 back then, but they are now over 3 inch cailper and 15 feet. I planted them on about 5-6 foot spacing and have to thin them but deer don't eat them (they do like to rub them). If I couldn't have bamboo groves but could have cypress groves I surely would, my problem is that the Glauca Yunzhu has now run into them with 20 foot culms forcing me to pick sides...in another year my Parvifolia will hit the other end of them and the Bissetii is already in the middle.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

Yeah, I plan to make a grove of bald cypress. I have one that was planted in '98 and it looks pretty good, bought 25 last year, and they are currently sitting in my nursery. :)
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

Using hybrid willow to screen off highway some. Have a row of bamboo along that stretch too. Would be nice if that works, because of the obvious advantage of evergreen leaves. But they are similar with their little leaves in summer. I will keep cutting the tops off the hybrid willows so they don't dwarf everything that exists in that area and throw them along streams or something. Neverending supply.......
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

Able to see my white poplar from the house. Just absolutely stunning when the wind hits it right.
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

hybrid willow has had three years growth, started as willow stake planted along a stream.

The mat of pink roots that are sucking up as much moisture as they can.