Stanky Boo Shroom

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

dudley
Location info: 44
zone 9a/b
right between too cold & not cold enough

RE: Stanky Boo Shroom

Post by dudley »

cool shrooms! here are some of mine.
the one i dont have pics of looks like a dark brown suede softball. turns to slime smells like rotting flesh.
also occasionally get "indian pipe" but again, no pics of that one.
"Plants are people just like us"
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

Hey Dudley... if that is a basketball in the last pic, then those shrooms are HUGE..... Cool!!
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
dudley
Location info: 44
zone 9a/b
right between too cold & not cold enough

Post by dudley »

it is and they are!
"Plants are people just like us"
Jeff: Igor's Apprentice
Location info: 0

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

Wow. Great Shrooms! Those couldn't possibly be giant oyster mushrooms could they?

Don't take that as a word of encouragement. I suspect all shrooms of that general color as being oyster until further inspection. More to do with my appetite than anything else.

The orange one...could it be a chanterelle or something infected with lobster mold? Again, my appetite....Speculation about mushrooms I have yet to find.

I can tell you with confidence that Indian Pipe is not a fungus though. Its a common mistake. Interesting parasite of fungus though. Hmmm....Parasite of fungus..... gee, where do I apply?
shuboo

Post by shuboo »

I get those in my containers too. You can smell them from around 20 feet away. Really nasty.
-shu
webgator

Post by webgator »

Oddly I started getting stinkhorn's in my front flower bed about 4 months ago, and they keep popping up. They have a massive underground root system worse than dollarweed!
Someday maybe I'll find a bamboo my wife likes...in the meantime I'll keep planting more!

My Bamboo Pics
Bamboo Propagation Info
CJW
in a solid Z9 location.

Re: Stanky Boo Shroom

Post by CJW »

boonut wrote:It's back... the stanky shroom is back. With all the rain, it seems to be larger than last year. It smells like a dead dog or something. Very colorful.

Nice addition to the B. Oldhamii clump as long as you hold your nose. :shock:

What you have there is a picture of a Clathrus crispus, a kind of stinkhorn that is found in the Gulf coastal area and the Caribbean. It's a tropical variety.