Hardy Cacti

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

Thuja
Location info: 0
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

RE: Hardy Cacti

Post by Thuja »

My cactii are still buried deep in snow, but I think the spring thaw has begun. It will be interesting to see what survives. There's been about 7 feet of snow this winter.
--Mike
mantis
Location info: 22

Re: RE: Hardy Cacti

Post by mantis »

Thuja wrote:My cactii are still buried deep in snow, but I think the spring thaw has begun. It will be interesting to see what survives. There's been about 7 feet of snow this winter.
I have a friend in Menasha, WI, and he said that they broke an all time record (119 years or so) for the amount of snow this year. :shock: Finally a change after many years of very little snow. Wonder what kind of flooding the mid-west will see during the spring thaw...
Thuja

Post by Thuja »

Yep, we've broken the record here too for snow. We're now at 100." So far the melting has been gradual but if we ever get a sudden heat wave we'll be in trouble with flooding I'm sure.
--Mike
ocimum_nate
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

Post by ocimum_nate »

Just thought I would bring back this old thread and see how the cacti did this year for everyone. I have some hedgehog cacti growing that I started from seed as well as some compass barrel (probably not hardy) some Joshua trees and a Hesperaloe.
Thuja- did any of the seeds turn into something viable for you yet?
Thuja

Post by Thuja »

Yes, I do have some survivors. Yucca and I think the hedgehog is growing fastest tho everything is really slow. I still have them indoors in the winter. I have one Joshua "tree" that is about an inch or two high.

P.S. We had over 40" of snow in December so we are on course for another snowy, wet winter.
--Mike
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

ocimum_nate,
When I moved, if you remember, I lost a few of the remaining joshua tree seeds you sent in spring 2007. Just found them! I soaked them in some fish tank water for half a day and put in small pots and it looks like most are germinating. The plant you sent last year (cali variety you thought) is doing great.
Rick
gardenmonkey

Post by gardenmonkey »

I have seen pretty large prickly pear planted in the ground here in western Wa. I would think it would be too wet for them to be happy but that doesnt seem to be the case.
save the bamboo, eat a panda
ocimum_nate
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

Post by ocimum_nate »

great to hear your plant is still alive. I would love to see any updated of seeds or plants that I have sent out. I recently went to the desert and gathered some more seeds and have three seedlings come up. It was a bad time to gather because the moths had pretty much eaten all of the seed up.
ocimum_nate

Re: Hardy Cacti

Post by ocimum_nate »

Just an update picture of my Joshua Tree seedling. Anyone else have seedlings from my seeds I sent out a few years back?